Subfloors chipping away inside near exterior doors...

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idkwtfimdoing

we have recently started redoing the floors in our home. We have ripped out the old carpet and padding to be replaced with lvp. However, we noticed that the subfloors closest to our exterior doors seem to be chipping away. What causes this and what do we do to fix it? (I apologize in advance if this was previously answered somewhere else / if this is posted in the wrong spot)

TIA

Attachments

• 20200713_182027.jpg
    20200713_182027.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 20200713_182042.jpg
    20200713_182042.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 20200713_182105.jpg
    20200713_182105.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 20200713_182117.jpg
    20200713_182117.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 111
Not sure. We aren't even sure how long it has been like that. The big chunks missing were either already removed or busted down into sawdust (as we didn't find any big pieces).

It wouldn't be a bad idea to cut back a foot or so and replace it possibly with the same type material meaning particle board as long as you know there will no longer be leaks. If a material is swelled ideally you would want to cut beyond the point that got wet so the new particle board is the same thickness as the rest of the floor.
At a front door where leaks are much more possible, I would use plywood there but be forewarned the plywood will be thinner slightly then the particle board because half inch particle board is half inch thick and half inch plywood has been sanded smooth and is not 1/2 inch thick. A sheet I was 15 pound felt (tar paper) installed underneath the plywood would bring it up to the correct height.
The type of flooring that you're installing requires that the floor be extremely flat without any dips or high spots. That information should be in the instructions.

Okay, thank you. And yes it does say it needs to be flat/ level. I guess we will have to try and figure out if there is a leak somewhere. They didn't install flash boarding when they put in the decks (at the doors) could that be the issue?

Possibly. I've always wondered why a deck isn't installed an inch lower than doors and why the aren't installed 3/4" away from the house so water doesn't get trapped against the house where the deck is attached.
If there's a sliding door, be sure the tiny gutters are clear of debris and that the corners are sealed where the horizontal and vertical pieces are connected. I'd definitely do a close inspection outside to see things you might not have noticed before.

Latest posts

Back