Summer Cottage To Year-Round

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBranch

Hello,

My Wife and I are contracting out the transition of a 1930's, 40's Cabin to a year round retirement home in Northern Mi. It has 2 x 6 24" OC joist, a crawl space that will be insulated and have a forced air furnace in it. We will be using it as a weekend Cottage for 10-15 years before retiring, with the plan being to keep the heat low (45-55) during the winter, but it may also be shut down for periods in the winter (cold temps).

What flooring would take this environment and the 24" OC Joist best?

Is the issue with LVT outgasing a real concern? Are their manufacturers that have better chemicals to reduce this?

We also have a 4 season porch that will have full windows but no heat (It has the Crawl under it). What flooring would be recommended in this environment?

I have been trying to study all the information out there but constructions days are coming soon.

Thanks for any feedback.

To be able to put another type of flooring besides carpet in our kitchen. Tile, vinyl tile, LVT plank, and Laminate. We are leaning towards a tile appearance because we have knotty pine walls and ceiling, thinking wood appearance floor may be too much wood with no contrast.

Last edited:
If you have a Menard's they now offer a pretty good vinyl tile that is grout-able if you so choose. I imagine Home Depot also has a similar product but I'm not familiar with what they have along those lines.

That floor structure will never support a "real" ceramic tile installation (as-is) and to try to re-enforce the structure at this point and do it correctly could be very costly and still may not solve the problem totally.:D

To be able to put another type of flooring besides carpet in our kitchen. Tile, vinyl tile, LVT plank, and Laminate. We are leaning towards a tile appearance because we have knotty pine walls and ceiling, thinking wood appearance floor may be too much wood with no contrast.

Glue down cork tiles, roll finish on top, done. From APC cork. http://www.flooringstoreonline.com/cork-flooring Tell them I sent ya.

If you have a Menard's they now offer a pretty good vinyl tile that is grout-able if you so choose. I imagine Home Depot also has a similar product but I'm not familiar with what they have along those lines.

That floor structure will never support a "real" ceramic tile installation (as-is) and to try to re-enforce the structure at this point and do it correctly could be very costly and still may not solve the problem totally.:D

Will the Grout still be a problem with the Vinyl Grout-Able Tile and the flexing of the floor?

Will the Grout still be a problem with the Vinyl Grout-Able Tile and the flexing of the floor?

No, not that grout. The grout used with those tiles has enough flex to ride it out without any worries.:D

And what does the man say about temperature requirements as far as LVT and that grout? There ain't allot of resilient flooring out there that any manufacturer will warranty for sub-zero weather.

Ask em'.

I don't know that anyone is talking or expecting any kind of a durable warranty. What is being proposed is extreme and the do-er has to assume some risk. The entire project is well outside of any factory recommendations or warranties but hell, stuff like this is done all the time in extreme climate zones.:D

Tend to agree with Floorist and Bud on this one. Carpet or Glassback vinyl would definitely be your best bet at those temperatures.

I was going to suggest a ceramic, but if you're retiring there, stay away from it. Ceramic is by no means easy on the bones n joints, be it just plain standing up or if you happen to slip n fall on it.

That non-withstanding, people will try to sell you on ceramic by playing the radiant heating card, but radiant heating wont make it any more comfortable to stand on, fall on, or any less slippery.

Latest posts

Back