Taking off plans for flash coving

Help Support Flooring Forum:

namcisumeht

What is good rule of thumb of how much to add to cuts when taking off plans for flash coving?

highup

Professional
Pro
I haven't touched much coving in the last 10 years, but I would probably add at bare minimum, 2 inches to every wall..... That means 4 inches per cut. Installation is expensive, so even adding 6 inches per cut would be trivial to the job cost.

highup

Professional
Pro
....oops, didn't pay attention to the word "plans"
6 inch minimum, then add additional material once you tally that up.
How many cuts?

Jon

Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Pro
That sounds correct to me and that should allow enough to get through the doorways if the doors open outwards
Walls wider than the normal 5 inches or so

Last edited:

highup

Professional
Pro
Wouldn’t it be 1’3” added to each cut? 6 in. high cove.
Figuring in the length plus the coved height, add another 6 or so to each cut. It is a measurement from a plan, so hopefully the plans are correct.... but that's why I would add extra. If it's a large job you need to add on material so they have some for repairs. I would make note of that extra amount so they know you figured extra.

Jon

Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Pro
Here in most cases the salesman will not allow extra as if an opposition sales person measures "tight" the job will go to the cheaper guy
Years ago they used to allow an extra "tread" on the carpet stairs which was laid under the last bottom tread so that later the carpet could be moved up the stairs when the front of the treads wore. Now they make all the cuts just about a neat fit to keep the price down as compared to others who measure allowing plenty who will then miss out on the job
Flooring very competitive down this way with too many retailers trying for each sale

highup

Professional
Pro
Some large bids require extra material, but maybe more so with carpet. Still don't know if his job is 3 room or 30.

highup

Professional
Pro
I don't do commercial..... they don't feed you pizza and make homemade cookies.

Latest posts