Technical cert

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SelvaLeeTucker

Professional
Pro
So listen guys I want your honest opinion, not your mean opinion but your honest opinion.

We’ve never given a test in any of our classes except one that no one would take, ceramic tile class.

So we’ve decided to do a technical certification, you take the class, pass the test, and we issue you a technical certificate you passed but we’re not going to say you’re qualified to do inspections because there’s no way we can tell if you are qualified to do inspections.

We are starting this next month in Roanoke, Virginia with a class by Howard Brickman then the kiln dry class by our professors.
The idea is flooring starts with kiln drying, so that’s we’re we should start the program.

I will make very little doing this set up, gotta keep the tuition realistic and pay the profs and a few others.
I do get free education.

There is no way I can tell or anyone can, by being in a class with someone for a few days, if they are competent to do the job.

Anyone can pass a test by reading the material, it’s being able to apply your experience, your on the job work experience, and your studies, to a problem to figure it out that makes a person qualified, not certified, to do inspections.

So, is the person certified or qualified; that is the answer we need, and unfortunately for floor Working people, many are certified but not qualified.

Opinions please, mine is that this is a more honest way to do this.

Steven P., you are invited as my guest to report back to everyone, and take the test if you want to take it.

Roanoke.............. isn't that where Jerry lives?
Ceramic tile class seems a must do for tile installers because so much has changed in the past 10 or even 5 years. I don't do tile, but I know a lot has changed in that trade in prep and materials used as backers and sealers.
You said:
"Anyone can pass a test by reading the material"
...........true, but how many people would make the effort to get a certification, that don't care about the work they do?
It's like these flooring forums. People that really care, attend. The others that know everything, chat about football in a bar ay 4:30 every day.
I think people making the effort to attend are the cream of the crop. Money and effort to get a badge? Yup, the people who attend are way ahead of the ordinary Joe.
I'm waiting for Stephen to pop in and reply to your question.
...I miss his sorry ass liberalism in a way that's hard to describe.

Lee, I think that's a step in the right direction. To do an inspector cert you would have to review some reports. Plus make certain your a qualified body to do that and have mills/manufacturers agree I guess. That would take lots of time.
You know as well as I do you don't need a paper to perform inspections as long as you have a butt load of experience and can site standards correctly pertaining to the issue at hand, even will hold up in court.
Your current certificate of attendance goes a long way to convince people that you should know what the heck your talking about already. This one would be a great addition for anyone I think. It's a great idea as we have spoken about.
Not sure if there's many people out there who have performed a slew of inspections for manufacturers like I have without that paper. But after L&N went down they, well most don't want to talk to you unless you have that paper. I have some local distributors I have performed inspections for and they don't mind. I do a few for consumers too. I mean hell, Ray Darrah even gets to inspect without authority.
I'm still kinda turned off by the whole idea of being a certified inspector just because there's so many morons out there holding paper. I just read one on that FB forum about grout residue. He called it bad grout. :rolleyes:

That said I was really really wanting to go but at that time I will be driving my son's stuff up to Madison Wisconsin cus he got admitted to med school up there. Let me know what the next one is brother. Peace!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back