Thought of the day .

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stupid people.jpg

I've been buying silver for about 7-8 years now. Nothing huge but a few ounces here and there. Over the years it's really adding up.

I'm actually in kind of a pickle. I have my life savings sitting in a bank account earning .003% interest. I'm too nervous to put it into stocks because their so volatile. Nothing really sounds too comforting as far as investing goes. I was thinking about dropping the wad on a bunch of silver. But where the hell do you keep it all? I'll have to build a mini Ft Knox at my house. 😆

A good friend I really trust put me on to silver. He says just buy it and put it away to sit on it.
I just found a very nice surprise in my wife's 403B that I manage for her. The money market (CASH) fund is paying around 3.50% yield. You can get that elsewhere with no "risk" other than our whole economy/financial system/US currency collapses. These fund have paid essentially NO dividends for many years now. You can lock in similar yields on short term U.S Treasury notes-----2-year rather than let your bank make that off you.

https://investor.vanguard.com/investment-products/money-markets

Eat beans and make your own wind. Is that a win wind or a wind win.
Sounds like a study worthy of a large grant.
Does the input require more energy than the output produces?
I just want to be the book keeper for the project. I'm not good at math, chemistry and physics. I'll let the smart people do the hands on testing.

I just found a very nice surprise in my wife's 403B that I manage for her. The money market (CASH) fund is paying around 3.50% yield. You can get that elsewhere with no "risk" other than our whole economy/financial system/US currency collapses. These fund have paid essentially NO dividends for many years now. You can lock in similar yields on short term U.S Treasury notes-----2-year rather than let your bank make that off you.

https://investor.vanguard.com/investment-products/money-markets
The problem with money market accounts is unless you divide your assets into 12 separate accounts, to receive a dividend monthly, you have to lock up your money for 3 months to 2 years. I put my money into an Ally savings account, where I'm receiving 3% interest. I can pull all or part of it daily, with no penalty.

The problem with money market accounts is unless you divide your assets into 12 separate accounts, to receive a dividend monthly, you have to lock up your money for 3 months to 2 years. I put my money into an Ally savings account, where I'm receiving 3% interest. I can pull all or part of it daily, with no penalty
Thanks for the info. In my wife's 403B account I can transfer the money out with a day or two notice with no penalty. I'm not talking OUT---------just moving tax deferred investments-------within the 403B account choices

I took basically all of her money from short term and inflation protected bond mutual funds into the CASH-------money market. Because interest rates have exploded she's now getting very health dividends monthly that of course are re-invested into the same funds.

I dont understand at all what you're talking about with the 12 accounts.
Please explain.

Exactly as JP mentioned. Say, you have $120k. You diversify into $10k segments, (with a one year term) depositing $10k per month. This way, every month you could remove $10k without a penalty.
Yep, a headache, and why mine is stuffed into a 3% savings account with no penalty. In the early 2000's, when interest was going for 6 and 7%, I purchased several $100k CD's, but they only gave 5 days to redeposit, or pull it out. If left untouched, the rate slid to 2%, and your money was locked for a year. That was a very expensive 10 day trip to Hawaii. I got it in the shorts.

Exactly as JP mentioned. Say, you have $120k. You diversify into $10k segments, (with a one year term) depositing $10k per month. This way, every month you could remove $10k without a penalty.
Yep, a headache, and why mine is stuffed into a 3% savings account with no penalty. In the early 2000's, when interest was going for 6 and 7%, I purchased several $100k CD's, but they only gave 5 days to redeposit, or pull it out. If left untouched, the rate slid to 2%, and your money was locked for a year. That was a very expensive 10 day trip to Hawaii. I got it in the shorts.
Thanks. Sure sounds confusing and easy to mess up with. I never had much money outside of her tax deferred account to play with. As soon as we'd get some accumulation in bank savings or checking I paid down the mortgage. At the same time we paid for the kids through UCLA/UCSB. I've ballparked the costs for the two through university at roughly $100K per. So that's where the two incomes came in handy. She was only stay-at-home mom til they got to grade school. It was pretty tight with one income those years.

In a sense I was getting over 10% interest on those excess mortgage payments as that's the approximate rate I was paying starting in 1989. It was variable so slowly it dropping but I got STICKER SHOCK the first year I opened up the 1099 INT. It was over $13K in interest. Hell, I think I was only making $18 and change an hour then so I basically freaked out, panicked and made it my life's goal to pay that debt off ASAP.

Yeah, I'm not into some of these fruity cake drinks. Peppermint doesn't sound bad though.

I stopped at the circle k yesterday to grab a coffee on my way to work. One of the knuckle heads that work there put the "holiday spice" beans in the regular coffee jar. Imagine my surprise when I got to our shop and I took a sip of that crap.

I drank it anyway but was extremely upset about it. Freaking day ruined!

Latest posts

Back