Thought of the day .

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.” –Mark Twain
“The taxpayers are sending congressmen on expensive trips abroad. It might be worth it except they keep coming back.” –Will Rogers
“I love to go to Washington, if only to be near my money.” –Bob Hope
“There is no distinctly native American criminal class...except Congress.” –Mark Twain
“This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when a baby gets hold of a hammer.” –Will Rogers
“Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.” –Ronald Reagan
“Members of Congress should be compelled to wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors.” –Caroline Baum
“We have the best Congress money can buy.” –Mark Twain
And then, most apropos for the recent election: "If voting made any difference, they wouldn't let us do it." –Mark Twain

mistakes.jpg

Anybody ever go home because it’s raining?
My two vans are dead, so I drive my pickup. I've never gone home because it's raining, but I have not gone to work..... because it was raining. Obviously that doesn't happen often because I live in Oregon where it never rains. 😉

My two vans are dead, so I drive my pickup. I've never gone home because it's raining, but I have not gone to work..... because it was raining. Obviously that doesn't happen often because I live in Oregon where it never rains
When I moved out west way back when I thought it was so weird that carpet guys worked out of pickups…

Until I realized it was true that it “never rains in Southern California”.

Although it still seemed less practical than a van… I remember hearing on the news more than once about a roll of carpet blocking the freeway…😎

When I moved out west way back when I thought it was so weird that carpet guys worked out of pickups…

Although it still seemed less practical than a van… I remember hearing on the news more than once about a roll of carpet blocking the freeway…😎
A van was a necessity here. Thunderstorms, blizzards, I have worked in all of them. I can remember on a nice day, cutting up a roll of carpet in a road.

We do get some pretty heavy flash flooding type storms every year. But as a general rule..............on average...............rounding down to zero.................sure, it NEVER rains around here.

Just throw something out here. When I had little kids, I managed a busy carpet store for two years. It was just for the steady paycheck. But, I hated it. I did measures, ordering, selling, cutting up the material and made less than for a couple good days on the floor. After I quit and found a helper, the store owner hired us as the number one crew.
We only had 4 crews, but we were the 2nd busiest store. I worked for the busiest for a while and they loaded out about 30 crews a day.
Could you stand running a store? Or would you miss installing?

Best job I had was running repairs for a store. Until I got the 4 apt. complexes. I did those by myself.

a roll of carpet blocking the freeway…😎
Might as well pre- cut it on the freeway now 😜
Back in the day before we had a warehouse, we had a salesman + customer insist on having no seams in this three room combination. Foyer with Dr to the left, Lr to the right. All under 12’, with 3’ openings from the foyer 😡 It was in the Middle of a big freeze, with snow and ice covered roads 😡 …. Carpet needed to be fully unrolled, pre-cut, and snake 🐍 rolled to make it happen. With no drive way and 14” of soft snow on the lawn, it was a no brainer choice, to throw caution to the wind and cut her on the freeway 😜 STREET ! Ironically and surprisingly nothing transferred onto the face, no pebbles, no dirt, no leaves, no nothing 😄 Just had to deal with dirty looks from the window and unpleasant words after slivering the snake into all three rooms at once. We are superheroes 🦸‍♂️ with worn out knees.

, I managed a busy carpet store for two years. It was just for the steady paycheck. But, I hated it.
Installers make bad managers, unless you possess CFR 😄 skills. He’s the exception to the rule. We know tooo much and could get to personal during business matters. Imho, managers with flooring ‘ book smarts ‘ trumps over managers with ‘ practical smarts ‘ 🤷🏻‍♂️

I knew where all the grocery store and hospital parking garages were around town that my van could fit in so I could cut carpet. Did a job at a Fred Meyers where my van fit in the parking garage but after I installed the carpet my van was too tall to get out. I had a garage at my apartment in Columbia that I would park my van in but only if all my tools were in the van, otherwise it was too tall to fit.

I knew where all the grocery store and hospital parking garages were around town that my van could fit in so I could cut carpet. Did a job at a Fred Meyers where my van fit in the parking garage but after I installed the carpet my van was too tall to get out. I had a garage at my apartment in Columbia that I would park my van in but only if all my tools were in the van, otherwise it was too tall to fit.
Carry a compressor and let the air out of the tires…😎

Might as well pre- cut it on the freeway now 😜
Back in the day before we had a warehouse, we had a salesman + customer insist on having no seams in this three room combination. Foyer with Dr to the left, Lr to the right. All under 12’, with 3’ openings from the foyer 😡 It was in the Middle of a big freeze, with snow and ice covered roads 😡 …. Carpet needed to be fully unrolled, pre-cut, and snake 🐍 rolled to make it happen. With no drive way and 14” of soft snow on the lawn, it was a no brainer choice, to throw caution to the wind and cut her on the freeway 😜 STREET ! Ironically and surprisingly nothing transferred onto the face, no pebbles, no dirt, no leaves, no nothing 😄 Just had to deal with dirty looks from the window and unpleasant words after slivering the snake into all three rooms at once. We are superheroes 🦸‍♂️ with worn out knees.

Installers make bad managers, unless you possess CFR 😄 skills. He’s the exception to the rule. We know tooo much and could get to personal during business matters. Imho, managers with flooring ‘ book smarts ‘ trumps over managers with ‘ practical smarts ‘ 🤷🏻‍♂️
The store made more profit with me running it than it ever did, before or after.

Latest posts

Back