Tie-ing in new vinyl plank flooring into existing vinyl flooring

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bknowles

I bought a house with an open kitchen/dining room to the living room. There is already vinyl flooring in the kitchen/dinning room but carpet in the living room. I want to take the carpet out and install the same vinyl flooring in the living room but I don’t want a threshold between the old and new flooring. Is there a way I can tie the two in with out the threshold? I think it would look much better with out one.

F9D3F687-CFA8-4C6E-BD21-3CEDA9E50B70.jpeg

not sure how clearly I explained it but this should help, the planks are running longways from right to left. I basically want to continue the vinyl out to the left where the carpet is without a threshold.

The planks are still available?
If they unlock successfully, you are going to need to remove a large portion of them, then reinstall them along with the new.

Yes, if you have enough extra, or can still get the product, you can weave the new planks into the pattern, but as said you will need to remove alot of the existing flooring, then reinstall in a random pattern.

I might add this. After removing the existing as far as needed, it might be best to reuse the removed flooring and install all of that first, then begin the new material. I suggest this in case there are tiny differences in the locking profile or the dimensions.
.....or at least check them very carefully to see how well the old flooring and the new material locks together. Sometimes the surface finish is ever so slightly different from batch to batch. A little bit more or less gloss, or even a slight color difference.

How do I know how much of the existing flooring I need to remove?
When installing these floors, you start on one side, then lay pieces one row at a time till you get to the opposite side.
You would need to remove material all the way back until you have one continuous row of planks from wall to wall. That's a lot of rows. Some types of planks do not unlock cleanly. Parts of the locking groove, or tongue snap off. To avoid that, you can carefully unlock an entire row, then slide the end joints apart instead of bending them to unlock them. How you do this depends on the type of locking joint.

Latest posts

Back