Tile border between hardwood and tile

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gkj049

Ok, here is what I am looking at. We bought the house last year and it has 3/4 in hardwood in the family room and dining room but the kitchen and dinette have vinyl. I was going to match the harwood and continue it into those rooms.
My problem is that, for some reason, if I lay a 3/4 in hardwood in the dinette section (that meets the family room on one side and the dining room on the other), it would be about 3/8 in higher than the existing hardwood floor.
What I am thinking of doing is laying a cream colored (matches the kitchen cabinets) ceramic tile border next to the hardwood, going totally around the perimeter of the kitchen and dinette and then lay a wood grain ceramic on the inside.
Questions are: Appearance opinion from the forum? I know that I would use wood transition between the rooms but what would be the best divider (schluter?) for in between the cream tile and the wood look tile?
Thanks for the feedback

Would you be using the same colored of grout throughout?

Daris

Thanks Daris,

I hadn't really thought about the color of the grout from the cream to the wood looking tile but I was going to try to match the grout color to the wood color. I guess that I could use the same color grout between the border and the inlay.

So, if I get why you are asking is: No need to run a schluter strip divider between the border and the inlay if I am going to use the same color grout?

Kind of makes me think that I had a Senior moment when I asked the question. What do you think of the border tile idea?

The first thing I would do is get some tile and do a sort of dry lay to see if you like it. Ceramic is very long lasting if done right so you don't want to not like it in a year or two.

Daris

Good suggestion. I have already ordered some samples from Builders Direct for the wood look tiles. I need to check into some samples for the border. I haven't done so because I wasn't convinced yet that was the route I was going to take. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back