Tile removal on cement

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darol Wester

Professional
Pro
I have a customer that has ceramic tile in 2 commercial baths and wants it removed and replaced with a commercial vinyl instead. I've never removed any tile before and was wondering how tough it is and some kind of idea on what is charged for doing this. The baths aren't big, maybe 6x6.

I have a little pneumatic jack hammer that might do the job, I'm just not savy on what it will take to pull this stuff up. I'm sure it will vary.

I was also thinking of just floating it out and going over the old tile.

Ideas?

OK, I had a look at the tile this morning. The complaint is that it's been hard to keep the grout clean. The tile is that little 1" square stuff and it's white. Isn't there something that can be done to clean and then seal this stuff for easier maintenance?

These rooms are also tiled around the edge up the wall and that fiberglass type paneling is setting on top with a metal transition strip. Sounds to me like a fix on the grout would be much easier and definitely cheaper than the alternative.

Last edited:
OK, I had a look at the tile this morning. The complaint is that it's been hard to keep the grout clean. The tile is that little 1" square stuff and it's white. Isn't there something that can be done to clean and then seal this stuff for easier maintenance?

These rooms are also tiled around the edge up the wall and that fiberglass type paneling is setting on top with a metal transition strip. Sounds to me like a fix on the grout would be much easier and definitely cheaper than the alternative.

There is grout paint/ sealer. Basically it is an acrylic/enamel type paint you brush on the grount joints Very painstakingly I admit. It's what the Grout Doctor does. I've had people paint their own grout when I installed tile. They ask for grey or light colored grout and paint it. Cleans up very easy with a mop. Lowes even carries it. Not sure of the manufacturer's name.

Does nail polish come in gallon pails. :D In this case you'd have to mop it on. Even the grout/paint sealer. I'm probably fighting a losing battle here, eh? Two rooms, 7'x8'.

PB081075.jpg

I would recommend just going over the tile if you havn't alredy. You will a good enough bond from the grout joints just be sure to flat trowel the thinset first and then put ur trowel marks in. Suggest a bigger tile, much less maintanence due to less grount joints. I would not want to be the one to stain those joints, staining grout joint is a major pain and time consuming job. Sorry little late to thread you probably already got job done.

Latest posts

Back