tile to carpeted hardwood transistion

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chalmj

Hi,
I searched and searched but never saw a discussion on this particular question.

I am about to install tile on a bathroom floor. I'm trying to decide how to transition from the bathroom tile floor to the existing hallway hardwood floor that runs parallel to the bathroom doorway. Currently there is carpet on the hallway hardwood floor.

I will be removing the hallway carpet soon as it is old and needs to be replaced. At that point I am not sure I will put carpet back on the hardwood.

So my question - should I try to match the tile height to the hardwood height or to the carpet height? I think I could do either at this point.

So I am thinking I should match the new tile height to the hardwood height but that will leave the carpet quite a bit higher than the tile height. If I use a marble transition to try to match to the carpet height I guess I would have to replace the hallway carpet as the raised transition might be a trip hazard at that point.

Does anyone have any thoughts/ suggestions on this?
Thanks

Use a marble threshold to match up the tile and hardwood, since you will be pulling the carpet anyway, If that will be your final floor. You need to decide that before you do anything.

Use a marble threshold to match up the tile and hardwood, since you will be pulling the carpet anyway, If that will be your final floor. You need to decide that before you do anything.

Or put a Schluter strip between the hardwood and tile then a matching caulk to the hardwood. Caulk will let the hardwood expand and contract.

Daris

Latest posts

Back