Tiling Against Hardwood?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPO-C

Hi,

I just completed installing a reclaimed floor in my house, and am now onto tiling the entryway. The process seems pretty straightforward, but I am not clear about how to deal with where the tile meets the hardwood.

One side will run parallel to a single piece of hardwood, and the other side will run perpendicular to several pieces.

My thought is to add a single piece of hardwood across the perpendicular pieces, and run the tile to the edge of both sides.

The tile and hardwood will be flush, and I'd like to not use transition pieces. Can I grout all the way to the edge of the hardwood? I've seen several examples of this online, but don't know if I should caulk it instead of grout it because of expansion?

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!

Layout sounds good. I'd say grout caulk. How wide is the grout going to be?
Might be good to barely knock off the sharp edge of the wood with a sanding block.

There are various colors of sanded caulk designed for this. Just grout as normal, but don't grout between the tile and hardwood. Then apply the sanded caulk.

Will it be enough for expansion? Time will tell. Controlling your temperature 60-80°F and relative humidity 35-50% will be in your favor.

download.jpg

Layout sounds good. I'd say grout caulk. How wide is the grout going to be?
Might be good to barely knock off the sharp edge of the wood with a sanding block.
I was thinking 3/8" for the grout, the tiles are 7 3/4" x 7 3/4"

The 3/8 is kinda fat. But i do 1/8 non sanded grout caulk with engineered all the time.

Latest posts

Back