To stretch or not to stretch padding ?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSLI

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Pro
Helping another machanic who believes pad feels better, not stretched ? Agree, disagree and why ? I actually couldn’t find any instructions in the cri 104 about stretching pad and, I misplaced the 105 booklet. I went a little bat ass crazy 😡 off on him when he cut a 25’ sheet net on both sides and started stapling. I take this trade maybe a little to seriously 😳

When I started 56 years ago I was taught to stretch the pad, it was all rubber with scrim on top at the time. Moved to Michigan in my 2nd year and they laughed at me for stretching it. Quite frankly I don't see a reason to do it. I think it is up to the installers how it is installed. Mike why would you stretch it, other than to make up pad. Just more time on the job, if you are hourly that may be a good reason.
Mike give me a reason.

Amazing ! ! That’s an impressive track record. Not sure I’m on board with not stretching it flat and some what firm.
Only pad I ever saw that didn't lay out flat was that really cheap foam crap. Rebond was what we installed most of the time. Except when we first started had hair and then rubber.

Huh, I stretch mine because that's how I was taught.
Monkey see monkey do, right?

Guess it makes sense, why should you.
I do know on a really cheapo rebound like a 3# it kind of makes a squeak sound while walking on it unless it's stretched.

I’ve never stretched pad. Are you supposed to? Or at least were you supposed to? Carpet is a woven material that will grow over time and that is the reason for stretching it. Pad isn’t so I couldn’t even wrap my brain around why you would. Do you guys use your stretcher to stretch the pad? Are we talking 1.5%? I got questions. Lol.

Huh, I stretch mine because that's how I was taught.
Monkey see monkey do, right?
I was taught to stretch using your feet 🦶.... firmly length wise and gentle along width. Hold the stretch then fasten with staples, adhesive or Duck tape. So much of our trade is based on observation, not just the new being installed, but also the existing being removed and my observations have led me to believe that stretching is beneficial . However, I respect counterpoints and will revisit ‘ to stretch or not to stretch. I’ll also apologize to my buddy for being an ass 😟

Just thinking about this. If you stretch rebond you could make the squeekers you get or ones that are laying down stand up and make more squeekers. Also rebond is just chopped up foam that is glued together, it could make them seperate. Just thinking, its still early in the morning and the brain isn't quite alive yet.

Just thinking about this. If you stretch rebond you could make the squeekers you get or ones that are laying down stand up and make more squeekers. Also rebond is just chopped up foam that is glued together, it could make them seperate. Just thinking, its still early in the morning and the brain isn't quite alive yet.

If that’s the case then maybe we are all on the same page but just have a different definition of what stretching the pad is. Are you actually ‘stretching’ the pad or are you merely snugging it to make sure it’s flat but you say you’re stretching the pad?

Did you guys ever see that vinyl stretcher that was out years ago? I know Daris did. It was a suction cup on a stretcher,

I saw that. A kicker with a sucker on it. I always thought that was just for positioning material rather than stretching it. Nothing a quick jump n bump couldn’t do for moving material around.

Guess what ? We just replaced an apartment today and went over the old pad. The pad was only 3 years old and in great shape, EXCEPT for one situation ( we have a situation 😳) I over stretched the length of the pad and it pulled away from the tackles by appx. 1” The width and the duck taped seams where OK , !!...Lesson Learned at 62 years young..... Only Remove the slack, don’t stretch it hard 👍..... Thanks everyone for all your feedback on this subject. ✌️ Happy Laying

Latest posts

Back