Touching up polished concrete floor

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LG307

I’m building a new home and initially we opted to cover our new “polished” (finely troweled and sealed) concrete slab with laminate flooring. Construction commenced and the slab has all the scratches and scrapes from construction now but we’ve decided against the laminate overlay and want to re-polish and seal the slab as a finished floor. The scratches aren’t deep and I’m wondering how in depth the grinding/polishing process needs to be. Will one pass with a 400 grit pad be enough or so we need to start at 80 and work up?

I don't think we have any people that specialize in that type of work. I don't know if maybe light scratches would disappear with a sealer coat.

I’m building a new home and initially we opted to cover our new “polished” (finely troweled and sealed) concrete slab with laminate flooring. Construction commenced and the slab has all the scratches and scrapes from construction now but we’ve decided against the laminate overlay and want to re-polish and seal the slab as a finished floor. The scratches aren’t deep and I’m wondering how in depth the grinding/polishing process needs to be. Will one pass with a 400 grit pad be enough or so we need to start at 80 and work up?
Hi. I’m in the same situation more or less. May I ask about the outcome ?

That’s gonna depend on how deep the scratches are and what degree of perfection you’re looking for. Polished concrete floors are not supposed to look perfect. That’s kinda the idea. I assume you’re hiring a professional, let them guide you.

Last edited:
Hi. I’m in the same situation more or less. May I ask about the outcome ?
I can tell you this much as the original poster is not likely to return after 2 years to respond. The guys who do this would show up to the site with all the various equipment and various grit attachements to correct the flaws. It's then their experience in the industry and ON SITE investigations-------trial and error-----to determine the most efficient means.

So basically the same advice as above. You're going to have to depend on a local expert. This isn't something that could be estimated over the internets.

Latest posts

Back