Transferring data from HDD to SSD

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zannej

So, my mother surprised me and got me a 1Tb SSD card with V-NAND technology (same as 3D-NAND) and some more RAM (they were on sale).

I want to move some of my games over to the new drive & see if they run faster or work better. I have games like Skyrim, Elder Scrolls Online, World of Warcraft, EverQuest 2, Sims 3, and Sims 4. Someone on the Sims forums recommended transferring the Documents folder as well, but I'm not sure if that would cause problems for any other programs I have.

Is it possible for me to clone/copy the Documents folder to the SSD and still keep the original one on drive C without any problems? Or would I have to re-name the folder? (I want to have a backup in case anything happens to drive C).

My operating system is Windows 7 Ultimate.

None that i can find .. I transfer files to a USB drive all the time, and it leaves the data on the original drive ..

My only concern would be that it might create a conflict.
I wonder if I can just leave the Documents folder on the primary drive and not have any problems. But I could still make a backup on the SSD just in case. I think the idea of moving it was so it is on the local disk to be accessed by the games. I'm not sure how it all works, but I'm guessing it's faster communication.

In your opinion, do you think it would be better to clone it or to move it? And do you think it would affect the performance of my games if I moved it? I've seen some say it doesn't matter where it is and others say it will be faster if it's on the SSD, but I don't know. My more advanced computer class stuff was back in the 90s when we were discussing File Allocation Tables and taking apart 486s.

Better to clone .. It is a Photo of your drive .. Shouldn't affect the performance ..
Remember , Devil hates a coward .. :D

Latest posts

Back