Transition Gap too large/big

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idiot_DYI

I have installed a laminate floor or 2 in my day. However, kicking myself in the @$$ on this one!! :(

There is 3 doors I decided to use T-Mold transitions on. The problem, EACH doorway I left too much of a gap for the t-mold transition to cover. I am at a complete loss of what to do here, ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200414_133733.jpg
    20200414_133733.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 382
How much does it miss by?
If you go into the room on the left and go clear to the far will opposite that doorway, maybe you can tap those 4 or 5 rows towards the doorway to close the gap enough for the t-mold.
You might end up having to install a wider baseboard or even add an additional base shoe or 1/4 round in the room.
If that's a solid vinyl floor like Coretec, be careful how hard you tap so the end joints aren't pounded together too tightly.

@DarisMulkin - Think I am bagging what you're mowing here. My dumb@$$ centered off the middle of the door stop, not the door itself. Appreciate the help on this one. One BIG problem though! :( ...
At the top you can see I hacked the crap out of the edge trying to get it in (thinking I was just covering that edge with a transition).

Attaching other pictures of the 2 other door frames, hoping you might be able to weigh in on...

Attachments

• Master Bedroom.jpg
    Master Bedroom.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 292
  • Bedroom 1.jpg
    Bedroom 1.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 326
  • Bedroom 2.jpg
    Bedroom 2.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 369
How much does it miss by?
If you go into the room on the left and go clear to the far will opposite that doorway, maybe you can tap those 4 or 5 rows towards the doorway to close the gap enough for the t-mold.
You might end up having to install a wider baseboard or even add an additional base shoe or 1/4 round in the room.
If that's a solid vinyl floor like Coretec, be careful how hard you tap so the end joints aren't pounded together too tightly.
Tapping unfortunately won't be an option without replacing the baseboard.

Maybe you could fill the gap as best as possible, then take a piece of the flooring, not knowing what it is made of, and run it through tablesaw or planer, whatever and cut it down to about the thinkness of you molding and then glue that down. Just a thought.

Maybe you could fill the gap as best as possible, then take a piece of the flooring, not knowing what it is made of, and run it through tablesaw or planer, whatever and cut it down to about the thinkness of you molding and then glue that down. Just a thought.
Yeah, thinking this is my only option. Good to hear that others are on same train of thought. Appreciate it.

Put a piece of square edge stop molding on the back side. That will close the gap enough that t-molding should work. Had the same problem with my bathroom door. Here’s how I fixed it

Attachments

• 28E7938B-CDE3-4B7B-BC14-A6B7BBA257F6.jpeg
    28E7938B-CDE3-4B7B-BC14-A6B7BBA257F6.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 447

Latest posts

Back