Transition piece left poly marks. Now what?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokerduder

Cliff Note Version:

.: Floor guy was instructed by us AND our contractor to make a transition that tapers down from the tile and meets the hardwood.

.: Hardwoods guy made transition that overlaps the edge of the floor.

.: He did what he wanted because it was easy, fast, and cheaper and tried to talk his way out of it. Didn't work.

.: He walked off the job when we insisted he fix his mess. Now we're stuck with a poly mark across our floor where he polyed over the transition piece. Woo-hoo!

Pics:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5XOjQGPEwf2Y2t2UnFreDktVUU?usp=sharing

Is this something I can try to fix myself with an 5" hand-held orbital sander? Or should I call a professional?

I have the stain he used but am not 100% sure on the poly. I know he used Lenmar oil-based poly but I don't know if it was matte or some other finish.

I was thinking that I would need to sand 4-5 inches into the edge of the floor so that the patch blends. But I stayed at a Holiday in Express last night so I'm not an expert. Any advice would be greatly appreciated on how to tackle this.

thanks!
lee

Not sure I get it since the wood looks pretty level with the other wood subfloor. And where's this tile at?

What you don't see is the tile 4 inches away from the hardwood. What you see in the pic is the subfloor.

The tile is much higher (like over an inch). We wanted a transition that would slope down from the tile to the hardwood floor.

Take Photos , and take him to court . Let him fix his own mess . :mad:

PS: Once you touch it , you own it .

It will release him of any liability .

are your looking for a wood reducer put in backwards?

Last edited:
Well I'm not sure what you expect from the guy besides a backwards reducer when the tile is an inch higher than the wood! I'm taking sides with the installer. What else would you prefer be done?
Please don't hi-jack my thread. My topic isn't about the reducer. I'm looking for help on how to fix the poly line left in my floor. Thanks for your understanding.

OK I see one tiny poly like puddle, but the rest of it - that line - is due to no application of poly and the wood has stain on it. I'd give it a light sand with 100 grit and then apply a thin coat of poly.

Ernesto is definitely right on this one! Looks like your floor guy did what was best, he overlapped the flooring to make a wider safer reducer. The wider the btr because it can be on less of an angle to prevent a tripping hazard. I don't know what else u could expect!

Latest posts

Back