Travertine appearance

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoosierDaddy

I hope this isn't too off topic. I couldn't find a forum exactly for questions like this.

I'm installing travertine and noticed that some have an appearance that I think has to come from the "manufacturing" process. Its not a good or bad thing but it made me curious but nobody I talked to knows what causes it.

Specially, the center of some tiles are darker than the edges, darker in the very center of the tiles and getting progressively lighter towards the edges. It can't be natural or it wouldn't be so centered in the tiles like this. The dark area is always centered and never extending to the edge. Something in the process of making the tile must be darkening the center or lightening the edges of just some tiles. Anyone here know what causes this?

I attached a picture but it isn't very good quality and doesn't show the effect as much as in person.

tile.jpg

I'm not a stone person but isn't travertine a natural product from marble. I'm thinking that it would be the vein in the marble and just so happens it ended up in the middle of the tile. Not how many tiles were cut from that slab-who knows. Kind of like cutting a log the rings end up almost identical. Just my thoughts.

Daris

I agree with Daris, the old man is pretty smart. I see one in the pic has some dark towards the edge. This also may be because it can literally take weeks for the setting compound to totally set and dry out enough so it is not so damp under the tile. Edges dry out first so there could still be water in the center making the stone darker. Then add more water to the equation when you grout.

Nice looking corners there, looks flat.

I agree with Daris, the old man is pretty smart. I see one in the pic has some dark towards the edge. This also may be because it can literally take weeks for the setting compound to totally set and dry out enough so it is not so damp under the tile. Edges dry out first so there could still be water in the center making the stone darker. Then add more water to the equation when you grout.

Nice looking corners there, looks flat.

Old Man!!!:eek: Ya your right you young whipper snapper. :mad:

Daris

Yup...moisture from the thinset. DON'T attempt to seal the tile for a few weeks, allow all of the moisture to disapate first.

Latest posts

Back