Trimming low profile carpet

Help Support Flooring Forum:

highup

Professional
Pro
Grandpa had some strips of Formica to protect the walls, but these work pretty good for as rare as it is that I need em. On carpets with a loosely adhered back it can't pull out a row like a trimmer will.
It's really easy when cutting to get the right amount to tuck in.
If a trimmer will work, this can help to get out from the corners enough to get the trimmer started.

Attachments

DarisMulkin

Professional
Pro
I did a certification for CFI where there was a father son team and they trimmed in with carpet shears and was very fast at it too. Shears were sharp as hell. Just used the tips and away they went.

DarisMulkin

Professional
Pro
Well we weren't using Ax's at certs only for the Master II test, then you got to do it all. I was taught to stair tool it in and then knife cut it in the corner of the gully.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
I knew a guy who trimmed all his pad with carpet shears.

highup

Professional
Pro
Well we weren't using Ax's at certs only for the Master II test, then you got to do it all. I was taught to stair tool it in and then knife cut it in the corner of the gully.
So your the one who cuts up all the sheetrock? :eek:

DarisMulkin

Professional
Pro
So your the one who cuts up all the sheetrock? :eek:
Ya, about 4" above the floor, I was afraid of cutting it short. Rusty I was taught to use shears for pad. Cutting pad with shears leaves it just short enuff that it won't climb over the strip. I use a knife now but on occasion I'll grab my shears.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
If the pad is stapled on wood or glued on concrete, it won't climb over the strip. I was taught to always fasten down the pad.

highup

Professional
Pro
Ya, about 4" above the floor, I was afraid of cutting it short. Rusty I was taught to use shears for pad. Cutting pad with shears leaves it just short enuff that it won't climb over the strip. I use a knife now but on occasion I'll grab my shears.
I've done that to protect a wood floor.

Latest posts

Group Builder