Trouble with gritty dirty tile

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
havasu said:
Unless the grout is made with epoxy, once it gets wet (without a sealer) it can be removed easily with a cloth. If kept dry and sealed, this won't happen.

Grout is cement. If what you say is true, sidewalks and roads and buildings and bridges would dissolve every time they get wet. A properly mixed and cured grout will not erode under normal use. That's why it can be steam cleaned and pressure washed without detrimental effects.

havasu said:
I don't know for sure but I was also told that grout has a certain shelf life and to only get the fresh batches. Can anyone confirm this?

Portland cement has polymer binders that activate when mixed with water, just like plasticizers they will weaken over time. The grout may look perfectly fine but as it ages it loses its ability to hydrate.

While this may be a grout issue, the op claims dirty cleaning solution after four applications. This leads me to believe something is being tracked onto the tile. I still say asphalt tracking.

Was doing lots of thinking about this topic and it occurred to me that nearly all of my non-sanded grouts can be easily removed from the joint, but the sanded grouts appear more permanent? Back to the OP, is your grout sanded or non-sanded?

Since I was the installer, that can't be it. I've always used the best grout found, no slurry mixes, and have accumulated over 100 boxes of leftover product, which the "ex" uses for craft projects. This is why I am wondering about the out of date grouts I previously mentioned.

Since I was the installer, that can't be it. I've always used the best grout found, no slurry mixes, and have accumulated over 100 boxes of leftover product, which the "ex" uses for craft projects. This is why I am wondering about the out of date grouts I previously mentioned.

Not for nuttin', every box/bag has the shelf life printed within the install directions. If you don't read the install directions how would you know how to install?

I did this 200 sf kitchen recently with unsanded cement grout and 1/16" joints. It took four passes to get it clean. Sponges/scrub pad/scrub brush/then picking away at the tiny hard residue with a utility knife. I get a good ha, ha from your "warm, wet white colored cloth" technique.

1-IMG_1914.jpg

I've always used the best grout found...

When you say found do you mean like at a garage sale?

I use C-cure, Custom and Mapei cement grouts. Except for color variations between them they are all pretty much the same. What is the best grout found?

Unsanded is a PITA, like trying to clean caulk off a tile. If your wiping down more than twice your adding to much water to the mix.

If your wiping down more than twice your adding to much water to the mix.

Not necessarily, depends on how much water you use and the time interval between wipe downs. The amount of water i use to mix grout and clean it is less than what most guys use to mix it.

I just tested the most recent grout job from 2 years ago and yes, I'm easily pulling it from the joints, leaving brown coloring in the white rag. I believe Ernesto might be on the right track with the mixing my grout (not garage sale but big box crap) too wet, but so as to not derail the OP's own situation, I'll build a new thread with pictures soon.

Not necessarily, depends on how much water you use and the time interval between wipe downs. The amount of water i use to mix grout and clean it is less than what most guys use to mix it.

Well, I stand by my accessment on wiping down to many times. And that applies to sanded as well.
If your wiping down more than twice your adding to much water to the mix.

Think about the amount of water every additional wipe down adds to the mix. You iknow how small a ratio of water it takes to initially mix grout. You could easily add that much (square footage wise per joint) every time you wipe down unless your very very careful.

What to do with those gritty dirty tiles, cleaning it by own or hiring professional tile cleaners. Please share your views ?

Are we talking about the grout or the tile itself? Lots of carpet cleaners have a machine that scowers tile and cleans the grout. If its just the grout, scrub it clean, let it dry and then paint it with an acrylic enamel paint. Loews carries some specific paint for grout. Then it will clean extremely easy. I've had people say "Just put in grey grout, we are going to paint it." Works great.

Latest posts

Back