Unclicking end joints for Coretec Plus repair

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
Been doing that Coretec kitchen/ dining room /hallway at an angle job I mentioned in "measuring square footage"
They asked me to install the lower cabinets and the Island.
OK, one small problem.
The wiring for the island needs to be moved over a few inches, possibly 4 inches so the island works better in this small kitchen space. The island isn't large, but it's weight will be setting on the Coretec to some degree. Once the final position is set in stone, I will cut out some of the Coretec flooring and install some 2x6 material directly to the sub floor so I can mount the island cabinet onto those 2x6 mounting pads.
To accomplish this , I need to disassemble some of the Coretec planks. The area of disassembly is in the green circle to the lower left. The planks will need to be dis-assembled in the opposite direction that I originally installed them in. Also shown is the electrical relocation for the island. The wire in the floor needs to go "north" at least 2 inches. Dang, a bit late in the project to discover this issue.
I marked the replacement area in yellow. The area is really about 7 or 8 planks wide, so my drawing is just for a visual reference.

The product is Coretec Plus, and I guess my question is ease of disassembly an reassembly with this material . The end joints seem to break off pretty easy.
Should I plan on just replacing the planks for structural and durability reasons?

Attachments

• Master layout with  electrical re-do.jpg
    Master layout with electrical re-do.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
They weren't sure if it would benefit to move the island forwards or backwards a few inches to make for more room than before. Previously there was carpet in the dining room part of this area and the island was set in it's original location.
Now the flooring is the same everywhere so we figured it best set the island back in place and move it to wherever it fits best with the new space and then attach it.
Looking back the wiring should have been ditched too and re drilled later.
....a little late now. ;)

I'll add that the earlier plan was to reposition the island a just few inches one way or the other.
Their fridge started leaking so they bought a new one............. so now there's a sideways clearance issue that wasn't figured into our original 'bright idea'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looked all over and none ofr the videos I saw mentioned Coretec specifically and everything showed sawing out a plank.
............so I called US Floors and the tech guy said just unclick the planks and that this floor was made to be taken apart if the floor gets flooded.
Went much better than I anticipated. I removed the first two rows intact without un-clicking the end joints and slid them out of the way. The next rows unclicked too, but I just slid them towards the wall one at a time also leaving the end joints together to get them out of the way. This way everything stayed in order without me having to label the planks.
Went much smoother than I imagined.

Looked all over and none ofr the videos I saw mentioned Coretec specifically and everything showed sawing out a plank.
............so I called US Floors and the tech guy said just unclick the planks and that this floor was made to be taken apart if the floor gets flooded.
Went much better than I anticipated. I removed the first two rows intact without un-clicking the end joints and slid them out of the way. The next rows unclicked too, but I just slid them towards the wall one at a time also leaving the end joints together to get them out of the way. This way everything stayed in order without me having to label the planks.
Went much smoother than I imagined.

See you have a win every now and then :)

I'm always a winner jon... or is that whiner? :D
Customer is happy and so is hi. Would have been better if we had seen this coming early on.

Latest posts

Back