Underlay enquiry

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello chaps,

I'm looking to install an engineered real wood floor in an entryway, approx 3 m2. This area has a wooden sub-floor and a crawl space over bare earth beneath that. Looking through the underlays available, they all seem to be impermeable to water. I am concerned that this would create a moisture trap between the wooden sub-floor and underlay, potentially causing the sub-floor to rot.

There was historical dry rot in one small corner which is no longer active. The area has been carpeted and there haven't been any signs of damp recently - though of course the previous carpet would have been breathable.

I'm currently considering using a cork underlay, or some other product that has a degree of vapour permeability.

I would be grateful for advice you can provide, and any suggestions for which underlay to use.

I’d think getting a vapor barrier over the dirt would be the first thing to do and it’s pretty inexpensive. Wood is going to react to the moisture coming up through the subfloor and give you problems.

Latest posts

Back