Underlayment question

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danmendez29

Hey guys im looking to get some advice on what i should do for the underlayment for a floor in my kitchen. im interseted in exploring the options for a laminate or vinyl floor such as the lifeproof ones they have at home depot. im curious what i should do for underlayment to make it the best it can be for the situation. The house was built in 1850 so the subfloor throughout the house is 5/4 then has "plank" like flooring on top. can i just go over the top? should i do a thin layer of plywood then do the laminate? I have done some tile and some wood flooring but nothing with the click together flooring.

Attachments

• IMG_5544.jpg
    IMG_5544.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 104
If that flooring has movement in it thin plywood will not help at all. It's hard to tell from a picture how flat each of those planks are. If they are cupped and uneven it might not work.
Those super thin, cheap lock together floors have tiny locking tabs. If the floor flexes at all, the tiny tabs can break off over time.
The heavier and more meaty the construction of the floor you buy, the stronger the connecting joints will be.
That said, check out the subfloor requirements of the flooring you plan to buy. Most all require floors that are extremely flat.
Also, manufacturers do not want cabinets set on top of the flooring. A lot of people want to do that to avoid having to fit to the cabinets. Then the flooring.
Cabinets first,

Latest posts

Back