Underlayment stapler preference

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
I haven't needed my 1/4" stapler for a long long time. Used it mostly for underlayment. It needs a new piston and cylinder, plus whatever seals are needed to go along with those items.
A new (econo version) Senco SKS 18 gauge stapler is $86.
It will probably cost $60+ for the parts I need to fix my old one.............. The math is easy. ........but I like my old SKS L17, or whatever it's called. It's an early 90's model with a large body and piston.
It's the heavy duty version of Senco's 18 gauge stapler and the equivalent model today pushes $270 bucks. Senco's cheaper version of an 18 gauge stapler is close to $90

My old one doesn't have a depth gauge. I simply adjust the air pressure. It has a large piston and is very consistent on the depth it drives the fastener.
It can be bump fired, tho I don't do that very often.

Your thoughts?
I'd much rather refurbish my old one. I emailed Senco about availability of new parts for this model............... but I'm curious what you fellas are using. What's the best, and which ones to avoid? I'd like something that drives underlayment staples with very consistent depth.
................but again, I like my old heavy duty SKS.

when i first got a compressor i used a porter cable cuz it came with the compressor----i was going through 1 every couple of months---out of desperation a picked up a bostitch---not sure of the model # ---that was many years and thousands of sheets ago and it hasnt even jammed on me once----all aces in my book

Been using a porta cable for years . No problems .
It's the new stuff out there now made in China you have to worry about . :mad:

I have an old Senco SKS ,they are awesome!
I have a Duo-Fast that I paid over $400 for years ago.
The SKS blows the Duo-Fast away.
I also think most of the new guns suck.
The Bostitch gun uses a different staple that cost a lot more.
The to get the senco fixed.

I have an old Senco SKS ,they are awesome!
I have a Duo-Fast that I paid over $400 for years ago.
The SKS blows the Duo-Fast away.
I also think most of the new guns suck.
The Bostitch gun uses a different staple that cost a lot more.
The to get the senco fixed.

Bostitch is famous for their "special" staples.

I emailed Senco and the guy said the all the parts for the new SKSXP model will fit my 23 year old gun. That's neat. I found the piston, so maybe all I need is the driver head, the cylinder, and the two seals for it. The cylinders are now made from aluminum and they are still oil-less.

Have you ever used one of the newer small bodied guns? I tried one five or six years ago and it drove in the staples at inconsistent depths. I'm thinking that's because of the small chamber. Like I mentioned, those are $85 instead of $270 for the SKS. I think the SKS a production model gun and made for hard use like in factories or cabinet shops.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back