Uneven floor tiles

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosef

Hi,

I have a small food place with small tables. Unfortunately, the floor tiles are uneven making the tables wobbly. The tables aren't fixed to the ground.
The tiles are ceramic I think (or stone). The tiles are 8x8 inches = 20x20 cm. They're not wobbly, unfixed or hollow - they're just uneven.
I've had a flooring guy look at it and he told me to remove the old tiles and put new tiles. That of course is an expensive solution.

So now I'm looking for cheaper solutions:

1. Can I coat the existing floor with something to remove the unevenness?

2. Or is it for instance possible to just keep the uneven tiles and pour cement/other adhesive material on top of them and then put new tiles over? That way I'm burying the old tiles in cement and then putting new tiles. The new tiles don't have to be ceramic if it's easier with wood/vinyl/other.

3. Or maybe it's possible to sand it? That way I will "grind away" part of the tiles that are too high. Or will that look horrible?

4. Other solutions?

Any tips are welcome!
Thanks

Hi Daris,
The tables already have levelers, and I can make the wobbling go away by adjusting them. However, when you push the table half an inch the wobbling returns. The tables aren't super heavy, so they tend to be pushed around when people use them.

That's unless you're talking about a special leveler that can adjust itself with a springer or something when the table is moved. Does that exist?

Hi Daris,
The tables already have levelers, and I can make the wobbling go away by adjusting them. However, when you push the table half an inch the wobbling returns. The tables aren't super heavy, so they tend to be pushed around when people use them.

That's unless you're talking about a special leveler that can adjust itself with a springer or something when the table is moved. Does that exist?

That I don't know.

Daris

Grind down the high spots with a diamond cup wheel, scarify the rest, then set new tiles on top. It's an approved method.

Ernesto: I understand that the grinding is to get rid of the tops. But why do I have to scarify the rest? Is it to make the cement of the new layer of tiles adhere better?

Hi Daris,

Possibly a felt pad on the bottom of the levelers so they will contour to the irregularities slightly? A felt wear surface would "self adjust" a lot better than hard steel or nylon leveler base material.......... which I assume that you have?

Possibly a felt pad on the bottom of the levelers so they will contour to the irregularities slightly? A felt wear surface would "self adjust" a lot better than hard steel or nylon leveler base material.......... which I assume that you have?

That's actually a good idea.
Have you tried with different types of pads? What material works best?

That's actually a good idea.
Have you tried with different types of pads? What material works best?
ACE, True Value, Lowes, HD, Wally World etc carry peel and stick furniture pads in a lot of shapes and sizes, round and square. I'd look for ones with thick felt, thick foam or both. My thinking are that the thicker they are, the more they could compress or conform. If they work, let us know. I know furniture pads would certainly be a lot less expensive than buying 3 leg tables. ;)

Latest posts

Back