Uneven poly in one spot

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky3504

I finished my own hardwood floors with Bona water-based satin poly and everything turned out perfect except for this spot where we were backing out of the hallway. Wow is that hard to do in a hallway! My guess is we didn't feather enough and it pooled a bit. The floor is also not perfectly level as it is a 40 year old house. The spot is noticeable but I want to put a rug over that area anyway. I would prefer to not redo the entire floor or add more coats to the entire floor. Is there anything I can do to just that spot? It has only been 24 hours since the last coat. Could it even out as it cures? I'm not sure if I should attempt to fix it or live with it. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20200724_164532.jpg
    20200724_164532.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 208
Just plan for another coat of poly. Buff the whole floor at 220 or use a green sand dollar hit that spot hard....then in that puddle spot (that's exactly what it is you're right) use a very sharp floor scraper like this one to gently take away the excess after it has dried. You're gonna want to just glide across the top dont dig in at all.

It will not even out any other way.

Its no big deal but if you only put 1 coat on you need to 2nd coat anyway

Edit: this answer is by the book.

The quick and dirty is to do the same thing with the scraper, tape off an area using seams as a guide so you're finishing the whole board not just a part. Then put more poly on just that area.

Attachments

• corner-scraper.jpg
    corner-scraper.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 163

Latest posts

Back