Unknown brand click together plank repair

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
I won't know till tomorrow what brand of plank this is but I was going to go do a 15 minute repair we're an end joint had separated.
It's in front of a sliding door that gets very little sunlight and the material is about 4 years old. This area is less than two planks wide so we're talking about 8 ft.
I put some 2x2s onto each plank using double face tape and tap them towards each other but the Gap wouldn't close.
I tap them apart and felt around for chunks and pieces in between the joint then vacuumed it out and tapped it together again. Same results still the 16th-in gap.
Then I noticed that the planks were actually tight together and the surface of the plank had come loose for about 18 or 20 in. Not being adhered to the core any longer vinyl does what vinyl does, it shrank. That's what caused the gap.
No other boards seem to have this problem and I'm trying to figure out if I peel the top off of the rest of the board what would I re-adhear with. I can just imagine the smell isocyanate adhesive flashing off......
It would probably kill the dog and everyone in the house...... Problem solved. 😁
I'm going to talk to the shop tomorrow morning to find out how they want me to proceed with this. Fix it or call a rep.
In the meantime, I'm looking for ideas from you guys what type of adhesive would glue this plank back onto the core? The piece that came off the top is similar to the luxury vinyl planks that you glue directly to the floor, I'm talking the thin ones like they'd use in a supermarket or retail store.
Any ideas are helpful.

Attachments

• PXL_20220425_195629659.jpg
    PXL_20220425_195629659.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 54
  • PXL_20220425_195620583.jpg
    PXL_20220425_195620583.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 53
  • PXL_20220425_195611704.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220425_195611704.MP.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 44
There isn't a gap in the core structure.
Vinyl shrinks, right?
The vinyl top layer detached from the core...... so the vinyl top layer is free to do what vinyl does.... shrink.
I can peel the rest of this top layer off the core, then use contact or whatever to reposition it so the gap is gone .
I would need to move the two planks apart and glue the tongue and groove then tap them back together to stabilize the joint.
Then I can use contact cement, or whatever to re glue the surface layer.
That's what I'm thinking. I need to talk to the shop owner tomorrow to decide how they want to proceed.
A warranty claim because the products guaranteed for life, or just get permission to reglue that delaminated surface.

Where’s CFR when you need him. Won’t contact cement eventually fail due to plasticizer migration? Unless it was a water based contact cement. CA adhesive would work as well.

I’d trim the core back the 1/16” or whatever necessary. Glue the top layer to the core then tap the planks together using some CA adhesive in the T&G’s to prevent them from pulling apart down the road.

Where’s CFR when you need him. Won’t contact cement eventually fail due to plasticizer migration? Unless it was a water based contact cement. CA adhesive would work as well.

I’d trim the core back the 1/16” or whatever necessary. Glue the top layer to the core then tap the planks together using some CA adhesive in the T&G’s to prevent them from pulling apart down the road.
Have you gone completely nuts! 😱
I'm liking that idea. 👍

So, no extra planks around to do a replacement with, obviously?
One.
A rep is going to look at it. I'll let him decide on a partial replacement of this flooring or even a total replacement if necessary. They already used almost a box worth of material, his leftovers, doing some sort of repair a year after it was installed. I think the material is are around 4 years old.

My goto glue for sticky situations—- ha ha ha—— like this is lock tite—- it’s sort of like liquid nail but it’s instant grab and dries clear—- I use it mostly for outside corners on cove base

Is there no extra material? I would just replace the 2 planks that are defective and be done with it. Then tell the customer what happened and to keep an eye on the rest. If it happens again then make a claim with the manufacturer.

So did you ever find out what brand of lvp that is?
I got a call last night about the same issue with one I installed a couple years ago. The material was Dixie. Literally the one and only Dixie product I have ever installed. It's not a product we deal with too much.
When I got the call I immediately thought of your issue. Your's is the first I've seen delamination like that. Curious if it's the same product?

As for my plan, I'm making a claim. It's not installation related so I'm not going to spend my time & money fixing a turd of a product. I'm holding the manufacturer responsible.
Can't wait to hear the BS their inspector pulls...... That's always funny.

So did you ever find out what brand of lvp that is?
I got a call last night about the same issue with one I installed a couple years ago. The material was Dixie. Literally the one and only Dixie product I have ever installed. It's not a product we deal with too much.
When I got the call I immediately thought of your issue. Your's is the first I've seen delamination like that. Curious if it's the same product?

As for my plan, I'm making a claim. It's not installation related so I'm not going to spend my time & money fixing a turd of a product. I'm holding the manufacturer responsible.
Can't wait to hear the BS their inspector pulls...... That's always funny.
It's Carpet One..... Guaranteed for life. It will get fixed or replaced.
I'll check on the brand.

I'm carpet one too, I know the deal. Mine will get taken care of one way or another. But I expect the manufacturers to stand behind their product. Unfortunately that's not always the case.

I can here the inspector's BS already. It's doing that because the floor isn't flat within specifications, The correct tapping block wasn't used, etc.etc. Anything to get out of replacement

Or my personal favorite, it's doing that because that's the path their pet cat walks on a daily basis.......

Yup..... That really was said to me!

The floor doesn't have any irregularities in that area and a tapping block isn't going to make the adhesive connecting the wear layer to the core come loose. It was obvious to me when I looked at it and discovered the issue that the plank is bad. That was the only plank that has issues and the material goes throughout their house as far as I know. It's in the living room dining room and hallway at least.

I was implying that the paid by the manufacturers inspector's are more often than not...... Stoobid!!

Of the thousands of jobs a year our company sells/ installs there's always one or two that have an issue. Just how it goes.

Most of the time the inspector has zero idea about what their saying and pulls the most random crap out of their butt. Anything to say their product isn't at fault......

And yes, the cat thing absolutely did happen. On a lee's carpet that delaminated and wrinkled up about 1-2' from every edge of the 15' width. I know it was roll crush from improper storage on a shelf smaller than 15'. Seen it many times. But the dumb ass looks me in the eye and tells me it's from the cat's walking path!

Latest posts

Back