Unsquare walls. Feel like a dummy. Need advice.

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah you might check it again but remember when you install floor and there's no furniture in the room. Without furniture in the room a quarter of an inch looks like a mile depending on where that quarter of an inch is.
I’m 95% done with the floor. I wish I had turned it to the left just a hair more. There’s an 1/8” difference along 16’ length of wall right next to the doorway, and my eye tells me it’s not straight. No one else notices it, but of course it’ll bother me. I was going to be off one way or the other, but maybe it would have been better to be more off on the other side and be more straight with the tile in the previous room. I don’t think it’ll be that big of a deal once all is said and done, but I have learned just how difficult it can be working with wonky walls. I sure appreciate everyone’s help!

Attachments

• 1DB121C0-F908-485A-9EF5-BED5CE713F11.jpeg
    1DB121C0-F908-485A-9EF5-BED5CE713F11.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 107
  • 3CB44CAB-F01A-4029-A52C-010D13A790D9.jpeg
    3CB44CAB-F01A-4029-A52C-010D13A790D9.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 118
That floor is so busy you don't even notice it. ....but you know it's there.
Everything seems more critical when your eyes are on the floor and at the saw. Your floor could be much farther out than what you're describing and with furniture in the room you would never ever know.
Once you get moved in to that area you won't have a chance in hell I'm noticing it.
You're way too picky.
... We're not related are we? 😁
Stuff like that bothers me too, but in reality, the fix is a new home thats flawlessly straight and square. That ain't going to happen because new construction can be off a little bit too. The floor looks fantastic, and get some furniture in there. 😁
What kind of wood is that?

That floor is so busy you don't even notice it. ....but you know it's there.
Everything seems more critical when your eyes are on the floor and at the saw. Your floor could be much farther out than what you're describing and with furniture in the room you would never ever know.
Once you get moved in to that area you won't have a chance in hell I'm noticing it.
You're way too picky.
... We're not related are we? 😁
Stuff like that bothers me too, but in reality, the fix is a new home thats flawlessly straight and square. That ain't going to happen because new construction can be off a little bit too. The floor looks fantastic, and get some furniture in there. 😁
What kind of wood is that?
It's a Pergo laminate. Restoration Oak I believe is the name. Yeah, everyone else I've asked says they don't notice, but to me it's a big deal because I spent so much time trying to get it as good as I could, and now I think I should have at least got it more straight with the wall next to the door and the tile in the entry to the room. You're right about working with homes that are not perfect. I was so worried about how much I was cutting off of each far side, that I didn't really give much thought to making it "look" in line with the previous floor. The opposite wall has a larger difference, but it still probably would have been less noticeable since that wall is so wonky to begin with.

It was a tough job for this amateur. I've realized the eye is sometimes the best judge, unless you're really good with math, which I'm most certainly not. Ha. Anyway, it is done and it will be fine once I get furniture moved in. I have maybe learned a little bit more than I knew.. mainly that flooring isn't easy! Haha. I much prefer finishing drywall, where things are never perfect, but easily given the illusion to be. Anyway, all you guys have been really helpful and cool. When I joined this forum, I didn't expect such helpful advice.

We've enjoyed the ride too. It's fun to help people out especially when they have the gusto to do a project like the one you did and have it turn out successful.
You can have all the drywall you want. 😁

We've enjoyed the ride too. It's fun to help people out especially when they have the gusto to do a project like the one you did and have it turn out successful.
You can have all the drywall you want. 😁
Drywall work is messy and a pain, but at least I know what I'm doing a little better and mistakes are usually easily correctable. This flooring stuff is something serious. Props to all you guys.

Latest posts

Back