V.C.T removal

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it would be a neat idea to have a show where parts of a project were done using two different business models.

1. The standard low bid sub through a GC business model vs.
  2. Pulling the flooring out of the bid package and working directly with the end-user to show that a better job can be done and still save the end user money because the GC isn't stepping on the number.
I think it would show that we are knowledgeable experts in what we do and the flooring recommendations, subfloor prep and installation differences between the two processes would be eye opening. You can still let a designer choose color, but I don't find that most of them are qualified to understand the flooring requirements of a space let alone the effects of site condition and schedule. They are much like architects in that they are trying to deal with too many disciplines at once and have no mastery of any, only a basic working knowledge.

I'll probably get crucified if the architects & designers I work with ever found out I said that but meh....what are they going to do put me in flooring jail?

Yes some architects and designers say look how little your flooring is going to cost keeping the total cost of the building down not telling the owner there are other more suitable products which are more expensive initially but have less maintenance costs so over a few years it becomes a better deal for the owner. There was one commercial roll vinyl here years ago which needed 3 coats of sealer when first laid then continual maintenance after that to keep it clean. It was cheap
There is school here where I have done a lot of work over the years where the original blocks had 2mm commercial vinyl with very few problems
I have been replacing a lot of the wet areas which were laid by other flooring firms in some new blocks cause the architect demanded Marmo, natural product, even though the guy who organizes all the work there wanted commercial roll vinyl.
The Marmo rotted/stained due to water being splashed around getting under the rubbish bins, around the toilet pans etc The architect never paid for the replacement

Last edited:
Up until reading this entire thread, I've learned a lot. I'm not sure I need this info because I've never even plugged in one of those units. I prefer to do demo a totally different way.
Let someone else have the job. 😉

I used to have a lifter upper which had an angle grinder as a motor which I found unless the vinyl was of the thicker nature it kept on sliding over the top. Also you used to have to cut the vinyl into strips first. I would only lift the smaller jobs, domestic, as it was more economical for the retailer to get a floor prep company to prep the floors instead of a layer as the layers could actually lay the floors meaning that the retailer could turn over more installations. What I found worked for me was to heat the vinyl with an LPG bottle after cutting it into strips. I did find the machine good on lifting vinyl commercial type tiles though as it just smashed the tiles into little bits. The worst part of lifting flooring products was the clean up, getting it into the wagon then unloading it into the bin which actually at times took longer than the actual lifting

Up until reading this entire thread, I've learned a lot. I'm not sure I need this info because I've never even plugged in one of those units. I prefer to do demo a totally different way.
Let someone else have the job. 😉
I used to have a lifter upper which had an angle grinder as a motor which I found unless the vinyl was of the thicker nature it kept on sliding over the top. Also you used to have to cut the vinyl into strips first. I would only lift the smaller jobs, domestic, as it was more economical for the retailer to get a floor prep company to prep the floors instead of a layer as the layers could actually lay the floors meaning that the retailer could turn over more installations. What I found worked for me was to heat the vinyl with an LPG bottle after cutting it into strips. I did find the machine good on lifting vinyl commercial type tiles though as it just smashed the tiles into little bits. The worst part of lifting flooring products was the clean up, getting it into the wagon then unloading it into the bin which actually at times took longer than the actual lifting
Amen to the clean up being the worst part, those tile bits stick to everything. Then have a helper spend a couple of hours cleaning all the black-out off your tools and shoes.

Sorry to beats dead horse here, but does anyone have any experience with the National 6280. I will probably end up buying the 5280, but just don’t want to regret not getting the bigger one. 4000$ more though. Is the ability to take up ceramic the only advantage? Not many videos of them in action.

Just an update, I did get the 5820 national and it works great. Removal rates were about 400 to 600 ft per hour with moderately well stuck vct . Definitely needs some extra weight over the front, as it does tend to run up over the loose tile. It is a beast definitely paid by the pound. I used an atv ramp to get it in and out of my van, but that is definitely a 2 person job. Paid for itself first job. Thanks again for everyone’s input. One of those things that I should have gotten years ago.

Latest posts

Back