vapor barrier padding problems

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mat

First off I am just a home owner looking for some help. I recently had my house recarpeted and was sold on buying 1/2 double sided vapor barer foam padding which has turned out to be a nightmare. To make a long story short when it was first installed they glued it down and when I walked on it the padding made sticky noises all over. After much debate back and forth while insisting it was installed correctly the company finally agreed to replace the padding.
When they came and replace it, after pulling up all the carpet they put the new padding right over the tacky glue and started reinstalling the carpet, well of course the padding made the same noise. Then they pulled up all the carpet and padding again and covered the glue spots in power against my wishes. Telling me that the glue cannot be cleaned up at all even after offering to do it myself. They said that they were instructed by the padding manufacturer that anything used to clean the glue would leave a residue behind running the new padding. Then went ahead and installed the padding they just ripped up back down leaving picky size holes in the bottom of the padding everywhere staples were used ruining the bottom vapor barer. I have called the company leggett and platt and asked if it is ok to pull up and reinstall this padding without compromising the vapor barer. I also asked if they in fact told the installation company that the glue could not be clean up even by me and they will not answer my questions. In fact they told me that I would have to send a legal subpoena to their legal dept. to get answers to those two questions.
I am wanting to know if anyone can tell me another company that sells double sided vapor padding that I can talk with. Also I am hopping there might be someone that can answers my questions.
Mat

i never responded to mat cuz i was unsure as to what he was referring to---vapor barrier to me means nothing more than a sheet of plastic---i guess thats why they glued it down---god only knows with what kind of adhesive---i personally have never heard of a vapor barrier padding---no staples is one thing but what about the valleys where the tackstrip sits?---a sheet of plastic with staples holding down the pad and tack strip nailed to it is about as good as you are going to get----this sounds like a scam to me----a solution without a problem

I missed this but I have heard of water proof pad, usually sold for people with pets that like to urinate on it. I've never been a fan since the urine cannot be fully extracted by a hot water extraction. I've always glued it down in the usual perimeter fashion like most cushion.

I think the carpet padding I used in my 3 bedrooms were waterproof. It's just a thin membrane on the top to keep anything that spills from ruining the pad. It's been 12-15 years.......I think so I'm not so certain but I know enough to SPEND money on the pad.

The carpet I thought was a GONER......but the cleaning guys leaned into it and it's now as good as new.

Cost me three bills.

DSCF6041.jpg

DSCF6042.jpg

DSCF6043.jpg

DSCF6044.jpg

DSCF6045.jpg

DSCF6046.jpg

DSCF6047.jpg

DSCF6048.jpg

DSCF6049.jpg

I think the carpet padding I used in my 3 bedrooms were waterproof. It's just a thin membrane on the top to keep anything that spills from ruining the pad. It's been 12-15 years.......I think so I'm not so certain but I know enough to SPEND money on the pad.

The carpet I thought was a GONER......but the cleaning guys leaned into it and it's now as good as new.

Cost me three bills.

The one cushion I was referring to has a thick membrane on both sides. And it very heavy. If one had carpet with urine in it and the cleaners "leaned into it) meaning they over saturated the carpet and possibly damaged the backing, you could use an azzo stick underneath it and still come out positive for urine. Maybe do a swab and throw it in a petri dish and grow some nice cultures as well. :D
So at this point I'm not sure why they even make it cept for easing peoples concern for their pets urinating on the carpet.

Last edited:
the one cushion i was referring to has a thick membrane on both sides. And it very heavy. If one had carpet with urine in it and the cleaners "leaned into it) meaning they over saturated the carpet and possibly damaged the backing, you could use an azzo stick underneath it and still come out positive for urine. Maybe do a swab and throw it in a petri dish and grow some nice cultures as well. :d
so at this point i'm not sure why they even make it cept for easing peoples concern for their pets urinating on the carpet.

money

Stainmaster and Mohawk enhance the warranties to include steps and hallways when you buy their branded moisture barrier pad. Some guys even staple the pad which defeats the whole purpose. Wouldn't you think if something seeped in it wouldn't be able to evaporate, and mold? I don't push moisture barrier, but if it gives my customer piece of mind it's a nice up sell.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back