VCT Adhesive Residue on Plywood

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernesto

Professional
Pro
So I am looking at installing quite a bit of vct over a plywood subfloor thats had vct adhesive troweled over it. Course you can blow on the old vct and it comes off but the residue is the problem.

The question is which primer should I use before covering it with Adrex Feather Finish. Would one use the P-51 or the P82 UltraPrime?

Nick, how dooo you know?! Never mind I think I understand. heh heh

How mcuh is the P-82, been so long I forgot.

Last edited:
OK, it's $56.62 here at Big D's floor supply. 200 - 400 sf

Can this go right over the old adhesive residue? It says not to go over adhesive residue thats water soluble. Isn't vct adhesive water soluble?

Can this go right over the old adhesive residue? It says not to go over adhesive residue thats water soluble. Isn't vct adhesive water soluble?

What makes you want to prime over the old glue?

I would just shopvac and then skim right over it. I've seen cutback over plywood. It's pretty rare but it does work well. Mostly over plywood you'd find clear thin spread or black thin spread both of which would not be water soluble once fully dry.

You can Feather Finish directly over any of the above. I don't see the point of priming it though, we never have problems with Ardex bonding to just about anything I can think of.

Can this go right over the old adhesive residue? It says not to go over adhesive residue that's water soluble. Isn't vct adhesive water soluble?
I ggot a price of $82.00 a gal here .

What makes you want to prime over the old glue?

I would just shopvac and then skim right over it. I've seen cutback over plywood. It's pretty rare but it does work well. Mostly over plywood you'd find clear thin spread or black thin spread both of which would not be water soluble once fully dry.

You can Feather Finish directly over any of the above. I don't see the point of priming it though, we never have problems with Ardex bonding to just about anything I can think of.

Good point Incognito. That stuff sticks to a brand new steel trowel like there's no tomorrow. I still feel better about doing a thin coat of primer.

On another point. When using the standard vctt trowel over FF I have seen it not stick as well, like the adhesive absorbs into it. Would you up the notch a tad?

Good point Incognito. That stuff sticks to a brand new steel trowel like there's no tomorrow. I still feel better about doing a thin coat of primer.

On another point. When using the standard vctt trowel over FF I have seen it not stick as well, like the adhesive absorbs into it. Would you up the notch a tad?

Sure, but just a tad. Mostly it's going to be a concern with keeping the notches from clogging up, wearing down or holding the trowel too flat.

In my experience there's 10-25 problems with too much glue for every problem I run up against with not enough glue on VCT.

If clear thin spread doesn't want to bond to Feather Finish with the proper notch size I would first suspect the ratio of water in the mix of Ardex. We tend to throw that last skim down a little "soupy" and that effects the quality of the bond.

Yea, seen way to many vct jobs with adhesive ooze in stores lately. Thats a nightmare and very messy to boot.

Ardex also says P-51 might help that. But jeez I'm already gonna be paying a fortune for the P-82. My labor only bid for 1,200sf with base hit 3,800 bucks already. I'm figuring 3 days max by myself.:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back