VCT Tiles Discolored From Hand Soap Dispenser Leaking

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdjanitorial

New commercial building has what looks like vinyl tile squares. The wall dispenser leaked hand soap onto the vinyl tile floor and there are whiteish/discolored spots on the floor tiles. I have scrub up the soap residue from the floor tiles but the discolored /whiteish spots remain.
Any suggestions?
I don't know what brand or type of vinyl tiles. Maybe the floor tiles should have been coated with a floor wax after installed?
Thanks, Brad BD Janiitorial

Expose them to a UV light source and it will most likely go away. I've come across several anti-bacterial soaps that will do this. I happened to pull a discolored piece of tile out one day and was driving back to my office to start the claim. I had laid the tile in the seat of my car and laid my notebook on top of the sample and it was covering about half the tile. In the 15 minutes it took me to drive back the half of the tile that was exposed to the sun (my windows was rolled down) was completely back to normal and the half under my notebook was still discolored. I went back with a UV black light and put it on the other two tiles and about a half hour later, viola - problem was gone.

I haven't had this happen for a while now but we see so little VCT anymore it would probably explain why.

The best I can figure out there's something in the anti-bacterial soaps that causes this and UV light seems to be the only cure I've found.

Good luck with it and let me know how you make out.

Commercial Flooring Rep. thank you for your answer. I'm not sure what type of flooring that I mentioned in my post. VCT? Armstrong Vinyl Tile, but will look into amazon for a portable black light. If I sent you a photo of the floor could you tell me what type/brand of flooring it is?
Thanks, Brad BD Janitorial

New commercial building has what looks like vinyl tile squares. The wall dispenser leaked hand soap onto the vinyl tile floor and there are whiteish/discolored spots on the floor tiles. I have scrub up the soap residue from the floor tiles but the discolored /whiteish spots remain.
Any suggestions?
I don't know what brand or type of vinyl tiles. Maybe the floor tiles should have been coated with a floor wax after installed?
Thanks, Brad BD Janiitorial
Which

Commercial Floor Rep...Which UV Blacklight did you use on the discolored tiles? Amazon sells a UV Blacklight Flashlight but not sure if it has enough power/wave length to effect the discolored tiles.

What I used was pretty similar to something like this:

https://a.co/d/e39mNYX
It's been a few years since I've had one pop up so I don't know where the fixture and bulb I used are. I think it may have gotten pitched as I think I broke the bulb when it was rolling around in my van. But the one in this link should work. I don't think a flashlight is going to give you enough to do anything. What I used was a plugin fixture with a fluorescent bulb for my fish aquarium. The linked item would be similar to the specs it would have been. This one plugs into a USB phone charger style adaptor so it can be plugged into a wall socket.

What I used was pretty similar to something like this:

https://a.co/d/e39mNYX
It's been a few years since I've had one pop up so I don't know where the fixture and bulb I used are. I think it may have gotten pitched as I think I broke the bulb when it was rolling around in my van. But the one in this link should work. I don't think a flashlight is going to give you enough to do anything. What I used was a plugin fixture with a fluorescent bulb for my fish aquarium. The linked item would be similar to the specs it would have been. This one plugs into a USB phone charger style adaptor so it can be plugged into a wall socket.
You're so full of it...... information wise. 😁
How are you doing? What are you doing? Where ya been?
Time for an update. 😉

Latest posts

Back