Vehicle maintenances costs

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always done most of my vehicle maintenance myself. As a kid I did everything on vehicles including engine rebuilds. Even worked two years as a Toyota line mechanic.

I don't anymore, I just pay to get it done. Just getting a tranny in the old truck, new motor in the newer truck. At least they break one at a time so I'm not out of a truck.

Battery died on the wife’s car so I hit Auto Zone to pick up a new one. New battery was $243! I did get $22 back for a core charge but damn that’s still $221 for what cost me under $100 just a few years ago.

Got a new battery for my van at the beginning of summer. $199. A battery for my van was $140 five years ago.

We used to have one of the new VW beetles and that battery wasn’t very big but there was only one battery that would fit and damn if it wasn’t an arm n a leg. I’d hate to see what one costs now.

My old riding lawn mower took a special battery. I even had to put the acid in it. It would barely last the summer. It cost twice as much as most of them. The current mower has had the same battery for two years.

My old riding lawn mower took a special battery. I even had to put the acid in it. It would barely last the summer. It cost twice as much as most of them. The current mower has had the same battery for two years.

I picked up a solar trickle charger for my mower. Prolly work great if you have a vehicle that sits a lot.

Battery died on the wife’s car so I hit Auto Zone to pick up a new one. New battery was $243! I did get $22 back for a core charge but damn that’s still $221 for what cost me under $100 just a few years ago.
Yep, they have gotten expensive. I worked at my local Autozone as a Commercial delivery driver for a few years. Batteries went up in price late 2019 early 2020. The biggest price increase was on the most common/popular and larger batteries. The Gold battery also had a 5 year warranty ( 3 years free replacement 2 year prorate ) They did away with the prorate shortly after the price increase, so now it's just a straight up 3 year warranty. If you know a store manager well, they'll sometimes sell the battery to you under a commercial account which saves a good chunk of change. I bought a Delco for my 75 Formula Firebird and keep a Battery Tender hooked up to the Battery when not driving, prolongs the battery life.

Got an alignment and an oil change today, $170. Noticed a crack in my windshield down by the wiper. It’s only about 3” long right now. Seems like I have to get a new windshield every 3 years or so and guess what, it’s been about 3 years.

I’m due for front brakes soon. I’m pondering doing them myself because I can get pads and rotors for $170.

Got an alignment and an oil change today, $170. Noticed a crack in my windshield down by the wiper. It’s only about 3” long right now. Seems like I have to get a new windshield every 3 years or so and guess what, it’s been about 3 years.

I’m due for front brakes soon. I’m pondering doing them myself because I can get pads and rotors for $170.
You may not need new rotors.

That’s a good price…

I just paid 35 buck (plus tip) to get my van washed! I know, I know… Do it yourself, but I already turned the water off outside for the winter. 😔

For that they vacuumed and did the windows in and out.😎

Last edited:
I've always said the ONLY way this trade can be lucrative for 95% of installers-----doesn't really matter if your a subcontractor on employee-------we get beat up either way-------you have to keep the truck/van costs to a bare minimum.

I bought one new truck for $8700 in 1987. What a coincidence. After that I've driven used trucks/vans, did a lot of my own repairs or at least had friends and good, cheap mechanics to the upkeep. How much it must suck to crawl, sweat and strain then give a good chunk of that to depreciation, interest and frills.

I don't know if I'm really a cheapskate because NO ONE who has ever accused me of such really knows the difference between how Incognito earns his pay and the rest of society. I never made an easy buck in my whole freaking life. I'll be damned if I'm pissing my income away on frivolous nonsense.

Latest posts

Back