Vintage Roberts Smoothedge Junior Power Stretcher

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one I had I got out of a dumpster when our workshop closed, bent tubes and all. I useed it for maybe another 20 years until the handle quit locking and I straddled it when it came unlocked. Retired it and it is hanging on the wall with the rest of my antiques. Just don't have the original case for it. One of my helpers kicked it down 6 flights of stairs as he didn't want to carry it wwith 6 tubes in it. It was stolen out of my van once but we found it 2 blocks away, must have gotten to heavy for the dude and he set it down.

I have a Roberts one that's two different heads The Roberts Co LA Calif Model-B Pat Nos 1-766-423 2-108-506 and other other head got same Pat Nos. 1-766-423 2-108-506 one got big spikes and other alot of tiny ones and I'm guessing all the polls and hand held scraper thing also another pole that's hot wooden block on the end little pads on both ends comes in old Wood carrying case Roberts 4179 Anyone know the value or want to throw offer to me at [email protected]
The price of such items starts at around $100 here on Craigslist/Ebay/Offerup.

As often as not the stretcher comes in a bundle with other carpet installation tools. I bought a couple used Senior stretchers (Roberts) over the years and for the $100 they'd toss a few other loose items into the deal. Eventually I sold one of those for $100 to a co-worker just to get it out of my garage.

I bought this Roberts Junior Stretcher in the late 1970's, when a young apprentice. Sent photo to Roberts recently and they kindly let me know is from the 1950's - 1960's. Wondering if anyone can give me more info on it. Hasn't been used in decades, but time to clear out the tools. Was thinking it might be of interest to a collector.View attachment 12877
Holy crap, that's the exact same on my grandfather had when I work with him. I was still in high school at the time and the handle part, the lever part should I say was aluminum. I recall the holes in the leaver part getting elongated and I took it to metal shop class and someone TIG welded it and re-drilled it. Obviously the stretcher got used a lot probably even before Grandpa acquired it.
I worked with him before graduating in high school in 1975 so I know it's considerably older than that.
That plywood box made it even heavier. 🤧
Thanks for showing that, it brings back some good memories. 👍
I just realized this was an Old Post. I made a very similar comment earlier...
....years ago earlier. 😁
👍

Maybe if he threw in a spike. 😁
I was told that is your favorite tool. I was the first one to have one in my area and used it regularly for a couple of years until I went on vacy and my stepson did a job of pencil point plush. I repair 92 holes where it was pushed throught the carpet. Only time it got used after that was in a closet or if pushing carpet back up to a hardwood or ceramic foyer that was added later.

I was told that is your favorite tool. I was the first one to have one in my area and used it regularly for a couple of years until I went on vacy and my stepson did a job of pencil point plush. I repair 92 holes where it was pushed throught the carpet. Only time it got used after that was in a closet or if pushing carpet back up to a hardwood or ceramic foyer that was added later.
Used one for years with no issues. Was great on restretching.

Latest posts

Back