Vintage Roberts Smoothedge Junior Power Stretcher

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there was a flooring museum in BC, I would be interested in getting it to them. It would still work for someone, but hate to see it get ruined.
Going to put the rest of my tools together and find a young person here in Okanagan, who could use them in their new trade.

If there was a flooring museum in BC, I would be interested in getting it to them. It would still work for someone, but hate to see it get ruined.
Going to put the rest of my tools together and find a young person here in Okanagan, who could use them in their new trade.
I assume you are retired? I can't find any young people interested in the trade. Good luck.

Retired from installing decades ago. Spent most of career in estimating / project management end of business. Not sure why I kept tools so long. Guess I wanted to keep a connection to it. :) Having gone through apprenticeship and installing on my own for a while sure helped in estimating.
Very hard to find anyone, especially on carpet / sheet vinyl side. Industry has shot itself in the foot by not promoting proper apprenticeships. Also affecting ability to find qualified sales people.

Retired from installing decades ago. Spent most of career in estimating / project management end of business. Not sure why I kept tools so long. Guess I wanted to keep a connection to it. :) Having gone through apprenticeship and installing on my own for a while sure helped in estimating.
Very hard to find anyone, especially on carpet / sheet vinyl side. Industry has shot itself in the foot by not promoting proper apprenticeships. Also affecting ability to find qualified sales people.
I had a store for a while, measured and sold a couple times, but always went back to installing. A couple years ago, the local store owner, only one left, tried to get me to install for him. I said, don't you have some installers? He said, none that give a shit.... I blame that attitude on the stores. "Just get it on the floor". If there is a problem, we will worry about it when they complain.
Worked for a store doing tract homes. We were working by the yard, the other crew, the owner's BIL and friend were by the hour. We were doing 2-3 houses a week, they were doing one. When I was asked why we did so much more, I told him we were getting paid for what we got done, we couldn't afford to take a 3 hour lunch break under a tree like the other crew. Never got any more work from him.

I had a store for a while, measured and sold a couple times, but always went back to installing. A couple years ago, the local store owner, only one left, tried to get me to install for him. I said, don't you have some installers? He said, none that give a shit.... I blame that attitude on the stores. "Just get it on the floor". If there is a problem, we will worry about it when they complain.
Worked for a store doing tract homes. We were working by the yard, the other crew, the owner's BIL and friend were by the hour. We were doing 2-3 houses a week, they were doing one. When I was asked why we did so much more, I told him we were getting paid for what we got done, we couldn't afford to take a 3 hour lunch break under a tree like the other crew. Never got any more work from him.
Sounds about right. There is a severe lack of good well-trained installers. Contract work doesn't allow for taking the time to train apprentices.

It's everywhere. I believe that's a large part of why flooring has evolved into many click / floating products. You can easily train someone who has good at basic skills or guide DIY'ers to install their own.
Tell me about it. I've got 127 shower room floors left to do, pour pans, flash, weld and 6 foot wall guard.... think I can find anyone to do it?
......now if I could just figure out how to click it together, dime a dozen baby ;)

Tell me about it. I've got 127 shower room floors left to do, pour pans, flash, weld and 6 foot wall guard.... think I can find anyone to do it?
......now if I could just figure out how to click it together, dime a dozen baby ;)

Mark just send your private jet down to me and I would love to help as I am bored sitting at home :)

I have a Roberts one that's two different heads The Roberts Co LA Calif Model-B Pat Nos 1-766-423 2-108-506 and other other head got same Pat Nos. 1-766-423 2-108-506 one got big spikes and other alot of tiny ones and I'm guessing all the polls and hand held scraper thing also another pole that's hot wooden block on the end little pads on both ends comes in old Wood carrying case Roberts 4179 Anyone know the value or want to throw offer to me at [email protected]

Depends on who wants them and how bad.
I have a Roberts one that's two different heads The Roberts Co LA Calif Model-B Pat Nos 1-766-423 2-108-506 and other other head got same Pat Nos. 1-766-423 2-108-506 one got big spikes and other alot of tiny ones and I'm guessing all the polls and hand held scraper thing also another pole that's hot wooden block on the end little pads on both ends comes in old Wood carrying case Roberts 4179 Anyone know the value or want to throw offer to me at [email protected]
Look on ebay under carpet stretchers, they come up there on a regular basis.
You would need to find a collector. Daris has a collection of old carpet tools and says they don't have much value.

Dang... I worked with a wooden stretcher like that one for most of my career. Didn't have a clue how old it was. I inherited it around 1983, used it as a spare. it was old then. Shoulda held on to it...:(

Dang... I worked with a wooden stretcher like that one for most of my career. Didn't have a clue how old it was. I inherited it around 1983, used it as a spare. it was old then. Shoulda held on to it...:(
Tried to buy one 20 years ago when a store closed. Owner said her son might want it to install carpet. I knew he had never installed carpet. In fact, he hated the store. He was glad his parents retired.

Latest posts

Back