Vinyl Flooring

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankeemp

Newbie looking to installing vinyl plank flooring over linoleum. How do I install the planks next to the what is in the pictures i have attached? All pictures are either stepping down into another room or steps.

Thank you

thumbnail_IMG_2043.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2042.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2041.jpg

You should be able to order a matching stair nosing from the manufacturer of the vinyl plank.

Thank you for your response Ernesto, between where the linoleum ends and the
wood step how would you put stair nosing. Would you continue the vinyl plank over the wood area?

IMG_2048 (1).jpg

wood step how would you put stair nosing. Would you continue the vinyl plank over the wood area?
I'm trying to guess how thick that wood stairnose is. Being where it is, it may be a thick piece of wood. I'm thinking the vinyl floor may have an additional layer of underlayment under it to bring it's height up to the thickness of that wood stairnose. From what I can see, removing the stairnose would tell you how much you need to build up the thickness in that area to match the vinyl height (linoleum) before proceeding with the plank installation............ or maybe just replace it with something similar?
There's a company called Artistic Finishes that can probably come close to matching your floor color.
Ya might check out their profiles to see if one of their profiles would work in your situation.
https://www.artisticfinishes.com/Page/ProfileDimensions

Last edited:

That is a tough spot. They make an overlap stairnose, yours is flush it seems. maybe due to underlayment under the sheet vinyl.
Overlap stair nose can be a slight tripping hazard but used all the time on stair cases.

If your doing a floating vinyl floor you cannot fasten or glue on top of or through a floating vinyl floor. The nosing needs to overlap so the floating floor so it can expand and contract a little. A vinyl one may not have an over lap height as much as a wood nosing would.

That is a tough spot. They make an overlap stairnose, yours is flush it seems. maybe due to underlayment under the sheet vinyl.
Overlap stair nose can be a slight tripping hazard but used all the time on stair cases.

If your doing a floating vinyl floor you cannot fasten or glue on top of or through a floating vinyl floor. The nosing needs to overlap so the floating floor so it can expand and contract a little. A vinyl one may not have an over lap height as much as a wood nosing would.
It always is, and his seems to be in that category already, so maybe not a big deal. I was suggesting Artistic finishes stair nose as a replacement of his current one because they make them wide like the one he has now. I'm thinking if it has to be taller, it's best to make it wider also so the height difference is more noticeable.......... maybe making it less of a tripping hazard?

Latest posts

Back