Vinyl on vinyl adhesive

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
A guy has a rental and want's some tile looking glas back vinyl installed over the existing vinyl floor. The existing vinyl is smooth with no texture.
What's a good, user friendly adhesive for doing this? Room is only 6 by 8 and having a a vanity, the room's actual floor size is of course, considerably smaller. It's just a typical main bath room with an 'L' shaped layout.
Is there a user friendly adhesive that would work without having to let it dry first? A set in wet is what I'd like. I'm concerned about bubbles (outgassing) on an installation like this one. I have installed glas backed goods over a skim coated vinyl floor, but never directly on another vinyl floor.
It's a rental and the guy sure wouldn't go for epoxy. It's a gitter done job.

Last edited:
I went over vinyl once . Never again . Must of had a thousand bubbles that were a B to get out . This was years ago In a rental .

Why glue it? Isn't glass back supposed to be able to loose lay? Or even double face tape? Just wondering?

Daris

It's a rental. Little kids splash water and plug up toilets and parents don't care. I don't think this one is a good place for loose lay. I hate these glass back products. What's that old quote. ..............Gimme felt, or gimmee $425 million. :D

all the brands i have dealt with give the same instructions for going over non porous---spread half the floor with a small nap paint roller---3/8 i think but not sure---wait for it to set up--aka clear thin spread----lay the floor into the dry adhesive with no kinks and no air bubbles---some floors then say roll it---some brands say only use a broom---rinse and repeat---dont forget the conditioner

all the brands i have dealt with give the same instructions for going over non porous---spread half the floor with a small nap paint roller---3/8 i think but not sure---wait for it to set up--aka clear thin spread----lay the floor into the dry adhesive with no kinks and no air bubbles---some floors then say roll it---some brands say only use a broom---rinse and repeat---dont forget the conditioner

yeh yeh yeh.............. I got conditioner. :rolleyes:
How about 75% dry? ............OK, OK, .......81% :D
I used to do it that way when IVC first came out, as per their requirements. But as wet set became the norm around here, anyway, I liked it a whole lot better.......... set it, and forget it. The waiting game in a tiny bathroom with toe kicks is a PITA.

We have used self adhesive vinyl sheet in our kitchen and we don't have any kind of problem with it. Have you followed instruction problem which adhesive are you using?

Latest posts

Back