Vinyl over asphalt flooring

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennie B

Hi, I have newly laid asphalt flooring and want to lay vinyl on top. Can I do this? And do I need to screed first? Not sure if glue will react with the asphalt, I don’t want to compromise the damp proofing.
If I can’t lay vinyl, best alternatives plse? And prep needed for them?
thanks

Hi, I have newly laid asphalt flooring and want to lay vinyl on top. Can I do this? And do I need to screed first? Not sure if glue will react with the asphalt, I don’t want to compromise the damp proofing.
If I can’t lay vinyl, best alternatives plse? And prep needed for them?
thanks
I have to ask what that is. I've never heard of asphalt flooring.

I'm just confused. You said you have newly installed asphalt flooring.... so why installing another new flooring on top of the new one?
We just need a more detailed information on what you are doing. Is this indoors?

Last edited:
If you use any kind of petroleum product around the asphalt it will liquify and never dry. It will bleed and bleed and never stop . If you seal the asphalt with a polymer like Ardex completely you could *probably* go over it with a vinyl plank clic floor but it doesn’t sound like you are doing a standard anything so who knows

Internal asphalt floor, it provides a DPM in our house that otherwise has none. It’s not a floor you leave exposed, it’s not intended to be. You lay something on top of it, but I need to know what and how...
Csason, your reply helps, just know re petroleum products and the Recommendation of the primer. If not vinyl because of potential bleed what else would you suggest? Ceramic tiles?

Internal asphalt floor, it provides a DPM in our house that otherwise has none. It’s not a floor you leave exposed, it’s not intended to be. You lay something on top of it, but I need to know what and how...
Csason, your reply helps, just know re petroleum products and the Recommendation of the primer. If not vinyl because of potential bleed what else would you suggest? Ceramic tiles?
I’d guess it depends on how permanent the floor needs to be , the most important factor for me would be encapsulating that asphalt then if permanence wasn’t too important I’d put a vinyl clic floor over the encapsulated asphalt

Is the asphalt a sheet type membrane, troweled on or poured? Do you know the name of the product and manufacturer?
If it's designed to have flooring over it, I'd think that the manufacturer would have a product that would seal it.

Latest posts

Back