Vinyl over carpet?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camphore

Hi, just found this forum. Hoping you all can help and this isn't as crazy as it sounds. We are going to install sheet vinyl flooring in a mobile home manufactured in 1960 on a campsite we recently purchased. The living room has thin, glued carpeting that literally is like the surface of a pool table. Like, it's thinner than underlayment for plank flooring would be. It just came apart when I tried pulling some of it up, and the backing that remained would need more scraping to remove than what I'm willing to do. Plus, I'm sure the tiling in the adjoining kitchen is full of asbestos.

So, I'm wondering, can we just install the vinyl sheet directly over the carpeted section? I'm pretty sure I can deal with the transition to the kitchen tile after pulling up the trim piece, but I don't know if the vinyl adhesive would work over the carpet. This is in a camper, and just needs to work, not have to look Homes & Garden.

Thanks

Thanks for your feedback. I'm assuming when you read "carpet" you thought "cushion-y". I really meant it when I say this stuff is like a pool table surface - it's got no pile whatsoever and is more like a thick felt that's been walked on and pounded down for 60 years. So, I modify my question to: Would it work if it was a 10X25 pool table? I am thinking using enough adhesive might stiffen up and remove any flex in the so-called carpet, and prevent puncturing and cracking. I was more concerned with the adhesive adhering to the carpet. But if you are thinking something else, please educate me.

There are 'carpets' that resemble courderoy. Super light weight material and it's thin like you say.
1960's 'carpet' as you describe is probably Ozite. Looks like a Scotchbtite cleaning pad.
Maybe one of the thicker vinyl floors would work if it was loose layed, then when it fails it could be easily tossed out.
A plank type vinyl flooring might work...... I'm thinking Coretec. It can be purchased without the cork backing. But if that product fails, it would be a much more expensive failure.
Maybe a soupy thin layer of a cement based floor patch could be troweled into the material to harden it up.......... can't believe I just suggested that. :D
You aren't going to find anyone that will agree that vinyl can be successfully applied over that carpet, or carpet 'like' floor. With intermittent use, it might work for a while...... If you attempt it, do not glue it down because when it fails, you will have a larger problem.

There are 'carpets' that resemble courderoy. Super light weight material and it's thin like you say.
1960's 'carpet' as you describe is probably Ozite. Looks like a Scotchbtite cleaning pad.
Maybe one of the thicker vinyl floors would work if it was loose layed, then when it fails it could be easily tossed out.
A plank type vinyl flooring might work...... I'm thinking Coretec. It can be purchased without the cork backing. But if that product fails, it would be a much more expensive failure.
Maybe a soupy thin layer of a cement based floor patch could be troweled into the material to harden it up.......... can't believe I just suggested that. :D
You aren't going to find anyone that will agree that vinyl can be successfully applied over that carpet, or carpet 'like' floor. With intermittent use, it might work for a while...... If you attempt it, do not glue it down because when it fails, you will have a larger problem.

highup, I believe you nailed this c**p as "Ozite". Somewhere else somebody suggested a skim coat of something like Portlnd cement-based Ardex Feather Finish, so I will be looking into that. That's a good suggestion about not using the adhesive, and I wasn't thinking about the removal. And if we get a season or two use before it starts coming apart and needs replaced, I will be totally satisfied with my <$.13 per foot investment. Thanks!

Adhesive don't get dry and stiff when set. I stays tacky for 5or six years and is kind of like a thin layer of gum. You will be throwing good money in the wind.
Good to know it will stay like gum, I would have expected it to harden. Thanks for the enlightenment.

They make self leveling concrete mixes that pour like water,so spreading might be a lot easier. That said, if this is done, whatever you end up with will be permanent, and if the floor flexes a tiny bit and makes crunchy sounds...... It will most likely do that forever.
Self leveler can harden to 5000 psi, so it wouldn't flex. That's why I wonder about crunchy sounds. Self leveler would probably be cheaper.
If you have the nerve to attempt this crazy idea.... Do a closet or bedroom first to see what happens, because as I said, you cannot undo this.... It's permanent!
Trying to sand any lumps or bumps from your end result would be as difficult as sanding a sidewalk. Proceed with extreme caution.

Appreciate the additional tips. Actually, it's fairly solid, but the 60-year old floor is so creaky IDK if we will even notice the crunch. Thanks!

Vinyl tile flooring is a hard-wearing and natural looking flooring made from quality vinyl. Available in hundreds of beautiful stone, marble and wood-inspired finishes and colours to complement your décor.

Latest posts

Back