vinyl over laminate

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it the old glued together laminate or the click together. If it is the old glue you could get away with it. Not saying it is the right way.

Is the floor just a single layer of plywood, or is the plywood a second layer of flooring? Older homes around here sometimes had 3/4" ship lap or 2 x 6's layed down as the sub-flooring, then plywood or particle board underlayment was nailed down on top of that. In that case, if the plywood is of good quality, the vinyl flooring could be installed on the plywood after prepping it.
If your plywood is a single layer over the joists you will need the addition of an underlayment.

This is an approxamently(sp) 110 year old house it has 2x12 floor joists with2x6 on top of that on an angle they ripped the hard wood flooring up and put down this 3/4 inch cdx on it is full of knot holes so i think i will need underlayment.

First thing you want to do Tuff is buy your underlayment at a Lumber store .. Stay away from the big box stores.. It is crap..
You want to cut 16" off the length of the ply so your seems don't land on the same joist .. Then you want to cut a full sheet in half for the next row to stagger the sheets .. In the diagram below you will be nailing from #1 to # 2 , Nailing from side to side on the angle shown every 6" ..
This will insure you don't create any bubbles in the sheet .. Next , You want to nail all the edges every 1 " .. Flash all the seems ..

Untitled.png

I would go to HD and rent a underlayment gun.. You will need a compressor .. You will thank me .. You will have to flash all the screw indents , Not the gun..

We live in a relatively small town so we have a small HD that does not rent out tools i will have to buy one . I all ready have three so 1 more wont hurt.

1 1/2" ring shank nails will work for you.

It's a lot of nails-------every 4-6 inches in the field and every 2" along the seams staggered across the meeting sheets (so it is actually every inch like Nick says)

Of course it's easier to use a compressor and staple gun. I can't imagine buying one for just one job. 98-99 percent of the floors I install are commercial over concrete but every once in a while I have to install plywood underlayment and I just "rought it" and pound the nails. As with screws you will need to patch over the indents. SO, if that might be a challenge to your skill level go ahead and spend for the staple gun. The staples can be set dead nutZ flush to the ply and then you only have to flash patch the seams. In fact the premium underlayment calls for butt seams without patch. But I always patch anyways and commercial vinyl/LVT isn't going to have problems with that------but some residential vinyls don't want that procedure as they are closer to wallpaper than real floorcovering.

Latest posts

Back