Vinyl Plank flooring - specs

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feebysowner

Hi all -

I've decided I want vinyl plank flooring, instead of ceramic tile - primarily because I hate grout and want something relatively maintenance free. I really like to look and feel of Mannington's Adura Distinctive Planks. I've done a lot of research (hopefully, it's been relatively accurate), and their thickness is 4mm, which I gather is good for residential - in any area of the house.

But, I am having serious trouble interpreting wear layer. I had to go directly to Mannington to get the specs, and even their spec sheet doesn't include wear layer - although in follow up emails they tell me the wear layer is .004 inches (4 mil, I think). This seems pretty low, based on a recommendation of closer to 20 mils that I've read.

I am wondering if anyone knows if Mannington - and others (e.g.; Shaw, Armstrong, Karndean) might define wear layer as just the urethane coating that goes on top of the vinyl coating. As I understand it, the two coatings combined actually make up the entire wear layer amount.

Also, any opinions on the type of plank I am thinking about getting? It will be placed on a 'leveled' concrete slab, and would seem glue down is the way to go.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back