Vinyl planks in kitchen?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluelessnj

I have pets, so I had vinyl planks installed in 2 downstairs rooms. I’m thinking about installing it in the kitxhen I was recently told by 2 contractors that this type of flooring will not last in a kitchen because it’s a high traffic area and spills, water.
I thouught the whole point of using these floors was water resistance and durability.
I don’t know if anybody has seen this type flooring after a few years of use.
Any input?

My concern is with what you describe as pet 'accidents' and water spills on a regular basis. The product itself may be water proof or very close to that, but if water gets under it, then what?
I have a neighbor wanting a pet proof floor and trying to figure out what will be best for them.

I installed vinyl plank flooring in my kitchen and the connections between the planks are so tight, water wipes up with no residue at all I've installed it in my bathrooms, kitchen, and laundry room, and never been happier.

I don't like planks in potentially wet areas because of all the seams. Any installer will tell you that seams are the first trouble spot for any vinyl flooring. The biggest complaint on sheet vinyl is the seams and they are 6' to 12' apart. With planks, they are a few inches apart.

These aren't like Pergo and other laminates of yesteryear.
If you look close at the shape and smoothness of the edges and the way they lock tightly together you can see how they can be considered waterproof.
When you tap the end joints into each other gently and see them lock into place, you can understand how these are different. You'd have to see them.
I am more concerned if the floor is flooded and water gets under it, but still, if a joint here of there doesn't completely seal, if dog pee gets under it and into the seam lock.......... will the smell come up through the joint?
.........hell, I suppose if the house smells of pee anyway, what they heck.:rolleyes:
If the floor is advertised as waterproof and it gets heavily wet mopped every day that's another issue. Can it's joints withstand stand heavy wet mopping where people don't get it dried off and leave puddles.
I'll have to ask a US Floor tech prep about some of those concerns so I can tell people what to expect.

Lots of vinyl plank is commercial rated so not sure if the contractors knew what they were talking about. There's literally hundreds of millions of square feet of commercial glue down plank in almost every store these days. They get wet mopped almost every night. And like Highup and Nick said, the click stuff is so tight I doubt anything can penetrate the seams.
If you happen to have a flood then you can simply pull up the affected area and then let it dry out - then reinstall it. Depending on which locking mechanism of course. The pound down end joints are garbage.

Its a 3G system that does not simply fold and lock. You have to pound in the end joint flat with a rubber hammer. And if you try to unlock the end joint it breaks the lip off and is not reusable.

Latest posts

Back