Vinyl Planks Make Clicking Noise when Walked On

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drgolf

I have just put down some TrafficMaster Allure Ultra flooring (click locking, NOT glue strips) in a small bathroom floor directly over a concrete slab (no vapor barrier or underlayment used). When I step on it the floor makes a clicking noise. All the seams are nice and tight. It just seems to be making the clicking noise against the slab. Any suggestions on how to get rid of the clicking noise?

Options I've thought of:
Can I remove the floor and put a 6 mil vapor barrier down to get rid of the clicking?
Should I put a 7/32 layer of luan down btwn the slab and vinyl planks?
I've heard someone put roofing felt (tar paper) down to remove the clicking noise. Is that a good option?
Lumber Liquidators sells an underlayment for floating vinyl floors. Is that an option?
Should I use an adhesive remover on the slab to try to make it perfectly smooth?

Background information:
SE Michigan
First floor bathroom over a concrete slab
Slab previously had old vinyl tiles that were removed.
Floor was swept/vacuumed before applying new flooring. I didn't use any adhesive remover on the floor once the vinyl tiles were removed. It wasn't sticky and was fairly smooth but maybe not smooth enough.
The instructions for Allure Ultra say NOT to use any foam underlayment.

Thanks

Sounds like the adhesive re-emulsified some. Six mil would help. They actually recommend it if theres a possibility of a moisture problem and they typically ask you perform a moisture test.

I should've mentioned I previously did the moisture test (2x2 sheet taped down for 2 days) and it showed no moisture. So I didn't think I needed a vapor barrier for moisture. Should I use some type of adhesive remover to try to get up any residue before setting down a vapor barrier and relaying the floor?

You could also use some ardex sf skim coat to cover the adhesive up. But plastic sounds simpler to me. Personally I don't do adhesive removers, only mechanical like grinding.

I have at least an 1/8 inch on all sides for expansion. I did put the vanity cabinet on top of the new floor though so I guess it's not freely floating.

I'll definitely look closer at the flatness of the floor when I take up the floor this weekend. It may have had some dried adhesive on it causing some minor imperfections - maybe enough to cause the clicking. I'll probably use some feather finish product on it to level it out instead of trying to remove any adhesive residue.

Just to give an update, I took up the floor this weekend, put down some feather finish, waited for it to dry, then put down a vapor barrier and the Allure Ultra is totally quiet now - no more tapping or clicking when walking on it. When I took up the floor there was one slightly higher spot in the middle of the floor but the rest of it was level. Not sure why it made noise all over. Must have been something to do with the condition of the slab. Thanks again for all the advice!

Latest posts

Back