vinyl tile over cracked slab and old sheet vinyl

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stimpy774

I have a 13 year old town house. its on a slab. i have vinyl sheet glued down in the kitchen. the cracks is 1/4" wide and runs the full length of the kitchen and is clearly visible under the vinyl. it also makes a suction sound when stepping in the vinyl near the crack because the glue is no longer attached.

I was hoping to lay the 12"x24" floating vinyl tile floor over the old vinyl. if i tear up the old floor I have to remove all the old glue to make a totally flat floor correct?

My only concern just going over the old floor is that suction sound. ive tried to test it with the new flooring and it should not be an issue as the new is very rigid.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

In order to get rid of the sound you should remove the old flooring. You don't say what the substrate is, wood or concrete. After the old flooring is removed just razor scrape the glue to remove the ridges and install the new beings its a floater.

Daris

I would cut down the crack and slice away the part of the vinyl that is not stuck and then stuff some foam backer rod down in there until its about 1/4 inch below the crack ( hopefully the crack is not ledged) then patch over it making it flush with the sheet goods.

Latest posts

Back