Vinyl under ceramic tile

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justsomedude

I am going to replace a large area of ceramic tile (from late 80s) that was installed above a vinyl layer. Does anyone have experience with this, what works, what doesn't? I'm thinking if I can get under the vinyl, it should all kind of 'pop up', but what kind of tool would work best for this?
Thank you!

And just to add, I'll be putting down 3/4 wood floor on top, so I need to get right down to clean ply so the level matches up with existing wood floor. Thanks

I am going to replace a large area of ceramic tile (from late 80s) that was installed above a vinyl layer. Does anyone have experience with this, what works, what doesn't? I'm thinking if I can get under the vinyl, it should all kind of 'pop up', but what kind of tool would work best for this?
Thank you!
I would think if you can get under the vinyl with a crowbar or a roofing shovel it will pop right up that is if there is like 1/4 ply under the vinyl. If not the you will have to bust up the ceramic. For God's sake wear safty glasses when dealing with the ceramic especially.

Whatever happens it's going to be messy and like Daris said, wear safety glasses and maybe a safety shield.
It might even be worth running an angle grinder with a diamond wheel down the grout lines to weekend the structure of the tile. That would make a tremendous amount of dust and then you'd need to wear a very good mask not the little blue covid things that are prevalent.
Vinyl flooring can be quite strong because it acts like a membrane so I don't think it's going to come up very easy. For starters I would try and pry up the tiles one at a time just to see how well they are bonded to the vinyl. If they come up relatively easy then you can decide your next plan of attack.

Could be easier and quicker to lift the ply along with the vinyl and ceramic, if there is ply then get new ply which would give you a clean surface

Change my mind on this as you are not laying a full spread glue new vinyl floor and you could spend hours getting rid of the old staples/nails before you put down new underlayment
Me lino layer thinking lino laying were you need a perfect surface for vinyl
Might still be an option though?

Latest posts

Back