W10 isn't fixable is it?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
When (new to me) my HP laptop/notebook Had about 30 GB drive space. Who knows how much drive space after the HP and W10 programs were installed on it. I never checked when I first played with it.
Being a 2016 HP, when I got it, it dis updates............ I sort of expected some.
Some whiele later I noticed it had just 5 or 6 GB of free space. Seems odd. :rolleyes:

Seems strange that a notebook with a 30 GB HD has only 5 or 6 GB left after the W10 and HP programs are installed.
This notebook was a store demo model.
OK, so it began having "issues" as noted in my other thread. Got bad enough I decided to do a reinstall to get this sick puppy back to normal. What a pain.

OK, I finally got the computer back as good as new.
First thing I checked was the memory. 14.something out of 29.1GB used. Eureka! I have some HD space now....... maybe the computer will function normally without such a cluttered HD.
As I removed McAfee and added Avast, the computer kept doing "updates"
.............anyhow, now that all the updates are done, I'm back at only 7 GB free out of 29 :mad:

What the heck eats up 7 GB from updates on a 30 GB confuzer? That's 30% increase in the program consumption of disc space............. just for updates!
Upon renewing this confuzer I had 1/2 of the 30GB HD eaten up by the original program. I was cool with that.
After the update /upgradeprocess took over, I now have 7.57GB left out of 29. WTF! I'm right back to where I was originally.

Last edited:
I set up a new win 10 laptop Hi. it took almost two gigs of updates and almost 3 hrs , and i have a fast internet connection. one of the problems is these new programs are so large .

W 10 is a horrible system and you cannot turn off automatic updates, at least that is what I have read. I kept it less than 30 minutes on my Toshiba and went back to W 8.1. This laptop I use most of the time is W 7. I have no idea what to do when I need a new one unless I can find a good older laptop with either W 7 or 8.1. I have not met anyone who likes W 10.

This confuzer is a 2016 demo model from the store where I bought it. I just can't imagine why a working W10 could need 5GB of upgrades and updates.
It was suggested (pop up on my screen) that I remove the older program version to gain disk space, so I did. I think the old one I deleted only showed 64mb.
Do they make the HD's on these notebooks so tiny that people will run out of disc space and have to buy another one every two years because of W10's continued bloating?

Last edited:
It ended up being marked down to $130 after an employee added their discount to my purchase.
Maybe this will end up going through my table saw at some point.

I think the total of all the installed programs is only 2.2gb. W10 is the other 20gb? ...and 90% of W10 I probably won't ever use.
I was thinking of deleting some of the stupid stuff from the installed programs if I could, but none of that uses up much space.
I don't suppose there's anything in the 10 program that can be safely deleted.

W 7 had its problems, too. IE is part of the mother board, so if it develops a glitch, you cannot delete and redownload it. Mine has a glitch that causes IE to shut down 3-4 times a day and restart. Microsoft admits there is no fix for it. It does not hurt anything, but it is annoying.

I must have a few Trump genes. If it comes to mind, it gets spoken (typed) because my brakes aren't in the best of shape shape. Can't help it. :D

Latest posts

Back