Wagner Meters Offers ‘Guide for Avoiding Wood Flooring Failures’ eBook

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick

In Remembrance
Wagner Meters (Rogue River, Ore.) is offering its newsletter subscribers a free eBook on avoiding wood flooring failures.

“A Guide for Avoiding Wood Flooring Failures,” a 40-page color book, covers acclimation, adhesives, finishes, bamboo flooring, engineered flooring, subfloors and more, the company says.

“Wood flooring failures are costly, and everyone loses when a floor has to be replaced,” Flooring Division Manager Jason Spangler said in a statement.

Those interested in the receiving the eBook can sign up for the company’s free bi-monthly newsletter here.

I like Jason and have spoken to him, I used to be on their forum years ago. I was a master deliberator. lol

But with the advent of 100% moisture blocking adhesives I feel all those Rh sensors and Cacl testing standards and equipment are going the way of the Dinosaurs. I don't even use them anymore. I will scan the slab with my meter just to look for hot spots. Thats it!!!

Last edited:
Been using GreenForce by Bostik lately. Easy to trowel, wets in the CC easy and cleans without mineral spirits with no etching.

We had a school here years ago with a commercial vinyl laid over the concrete slab with water piping for underfloor heating which blew up due to the water in the new concrete
A product was applied to seal the slab to stop the water coming out of the slab, can not remember the name of the sealer.
Everywhere there were control cuts in the concrete slab there were big bubbles in the vinyl full of water
The flooring company was asked did they test the floor before installing the vinyl. The answer was no as the "sealer" was to stop any moisture that is why it was applied When we were looking at the installation an electrician causally mentioned that one of the teachers had turned up the heat as far as it would go to see how hot the rooms would get. The floor was very hot to touch. Layers off the hook as underfloor heating is meant to be lifted up in temperature 1 degree a day or something like that to give the moisture in the slab time to disperse slowly

I like Jason and have spoken to him, I used to be on their forum years ago. I was a master deliberator. lol

But with the advent of 100% moisture blocking adhesives I feel all those Rh sensors and Cacl testing standards and equipment are going the way of the Dinosaurs. I don't even use them anymore. I will scan the slab with my meter just to look for hot spots. Thats it!!!
What kind of prep is required before applying the adhesive?
What would you use as a moisture blocker under a floating floor installation. Working on top of plastic sheeting sucks

What kind of prep is required before applying the adhesive?
What would you use as a moisture blocker under a floating floor installation. Working on top of plastic sheeting sucks

I was talking about glue down hardwood over CC.
Prep is removing bond breakers, grind high spots, patch/SLC low spots, CSP 2 -3, honoring joints (urethane foam and shave flat if need be).

Thats a loaded question High. Over concrete with engineered hardwood I use Sound Solutions with vapor block, or over a wood substrate with no vapor bloc depending on whats going on below. I have doubled up with 6mil and Sound Solutions w/vapor bloc under somes questionable slabs(recommended by many underlayment manufactures, see fine print or online installation guidelines).
I have also done Bostik MVP4 plus six mil, plus roofing felt under floating plywood subfloors (naildown) then roofing felt on top of plywood in an extreme installation situation where water was running out of the rock hillside at the bottom of a 4 level house that was built into a hillside.
http://www.healthierchoice.com/sound-solution.html.
There is no engineered with an attached cushion so you can't just use 6mil.

Even though I use 100% moisture blocking adhesives I still scan with a meter and document with a time/date stamp to CMA. I also have a clause in my quote that says in the event the slab has no vapor barrier placed under it I am not liable for extreme high emission rates. That would be impossible to check on some slabs.

I was pretty lucky back in the day when I just installed sheet goods on CC., never had a failure due to MVE. But in those days we had better adhesives.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back