Wall to wall over 12” x 12” ceramic

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSLI

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Pro
Coworker needs advise on installation method for mid-grade plush. It’s a basement with 12” x 12” ceramic and the customer wants it covered wall to wall. They have 2 small children and no windows for ventilation, so he’s apprehensive about double stick. I think he could probably nail or aluminum drive the tkls into the grout joints or even sparingly right through the ceramic. Also Pam hot glue for small PCs. or everywhere if she’s holding.

Personally, If it was my customer I would be tempted to propose an unconventional way. Double stick tape the perimeter of Shaw’s double fleece padding ( FB200 I think ) Do they still make it ? Then install the carpet by flattening it out and rubbing it into the fleece, like we do for area rugs. Action back sticks like crazy to the fleece, almost like Velcro.
You could double face tape the carpet to the perimeter need be. That way when the kids grow up, or the basement floods you can go back to ceramic with little expense.

What would or have you done unconventionally.

Book it 2 days. Day one just tackless. I like to use PL urethane construction adhesive.
Day 2 pad and carpet installation. I normally just go a little easier with my stretch. Just don't go cranking on the stretcher.

Easy peasy!!!

If you’re thinking of removing it down the road why not just loose lay the whole thing. Then you can sell binding with the job. You got a portable binder? Now THAT money is definitely easier than LVP and everyone knows how easy money LVP is. You’re welcome😏.
When they’re tired of it they can just cut it into pieces and chuck it.

If you’re thinking of removing it down the road why not just loose lay the whole thing. Then you can sell binding with the job. You got a portable binder? Now THAT money is definitely easier than LVP and everyone knows how easy money LVP is. You’re welcome😏.
When they’re tired of it they can just cut it into pieces and chuck it.
I remember the old days of binding with a hand stapler.

Back in the designer carpet / rug days some would ask to see as little binding as possible and since I knew the end user had the mooola to spend. I came up with this new term ‘ micro- blind stitch’ If memory serves, for 2 bucks a 🦶 and another 1 to stabilize the edge. Essentially you either hand staple 1/4” in from the edge 😡 or run the portable binder, if you can, without the tape on the machine. I would use 1.25” polyester or cotton and pre - attach it to the drying latex, that was used to sturdy up the edge. Then Adjust your folder to 1/4” and change machine to straight stitch. PITA ! And I Probably could have hand sewn it just as fast 🤷🏻‍♂️ Hey Daris, Sorry! Mr. Hall of Fame ! 😉😎 was that called a Hemmed edge, back in the day ?

I think bound area rugs is a great suggestion. Maybe 1” from baseboards , hold the micr- blind stitch

Latest posts

Back