Water damage near sliding door

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arman

Hi all,

I am redoing the floors in my house I just bought and I notice a lot of signs that water was getting in from under the sliding glass door. The evidence was that there were water patterns in the "dirt" (chewed up underlay) under the laminate foor when I pulled it up; and ants had formed a huuuge nest behind the baseboards to the side of the door.

Now examining the door, I see clear signs of water intrusion. See attached images of the inside and outside.

Inside:
20190914_110217.jpg

20190914_110227.jpg

Outside:
20190914_110244.jpg

First, does this look to you like water has been intruding on the concrete subfloor? Or does this look normal?

Second, if it does look like water damage; what would be the best way to prevent it from intruding?
It seems to me that with the concrete touching the floor like it is; water will always seep up through it. I hope I am wrong.

Any suggestions on how to prevent water from intruding? Should there be a vertical gap between the concrete and the red tile outside?

Thanks!

The thing with the stains on the concrete could have been there forever. The things I would check is if the slider is properly sealing. If the weep holes are clean of dirt and debris. Which direction the paver slope, are slopeing toward the house or away from it. If there is a gap at the concrete and pavers the only way I know of is to put silicone caulk in it if that is the cause. Of coarse I'm not a builder so I'm just guessing.

Had that issue, I found the installers didn't screw the track all the way across and left two screw holes open.

Latest posts

Back