Water damage?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oaksuite

Last year I rented out my new condo with hardwood floor. I just went to inspect the place yesterday and the tenant showed me the plank below and claimed that "it was a defective plank from the beginning".
There was absolutely no defective plank when he moved in as it was brand new. He got a dog some time last summer so I suspect the damage is from dog urine that wasn't cleaned up right away.
I don't know much about hardwood. Can you tell from the image and determine that it was caused water damage? and not a defective material.
Thanks

floordamage.jpg

If you have any planks left over you could take a razor blade or a sharp chisel to see how easily the product's finish will delaminate or come loose on the edges. If the finish wasn't applied very well, water damage or urine would more easily allow it to separate or flake like that around the edges.
Is the wood installed over concrete or a wood floor? Is that the only place that has damage like that?
I still agree with Havasu. I'm sure it can be tested for urine but I wouldn't have a clue how to do that. Probably a pH test.

Looks like that defect also flowed into the seam on the right. The dude is blowing smoke up your tailpipe.
Unless that's a reflection from camera flash or other light.

Looking at where the finish is peeling, it stops perfectly at the edge of the board. Adjacent boards do not appear to be affected.

IF, and I say IF, this is a factory finished product it would be consistent with a contamination prior to the finish being applied. Sometimes a liquid wax or lubricants are used on the bed of the molding machine to help the boards travel through. Not all lubricants evaporate completely, leaving a contamination that affects the bond of the finish.

If Havasu is correct about the adjacent butt joint, all info above would not apply.

EDIT: Another look at the picture and the stain does not appear to be affected. This is consistent with the stain not being dry before the finish is applied. A flake of the finish under a microscope could show hints of stain on the finish.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the reply, I'm in a debate with the tenant living there.
It was a brand new unit, I had it empty for 3 months, we inspected, then the tenant inspected the whole place, no issue.
He reported this damage 8 months after moving in and claimed that it was a defective board.
I think it's more likely a damage caused by negligence (dog urine, or juice or some kind of liquid spill that didn't get cleaned up right away).

So it's a debate on who's paying for the damage. I would pay for repair if it was a defective board, but I'm not paying for damage due to tenant negligence.

EDIT: Another look at the picture and the stain does not appear to be affected. This is consistent with the stain not being dry before the finish is applied. A flake of the finish under a microscope could show hints of stain on the finish.
Does this assessment means it's possible that it was a case of defective workmanship?

I don't think there's any way to defective workmanship would cause something like that. Personally I think if there's another board left over it would be worth chipping and prying at the address to see how easily the finish comes off. If it will come off in large chips or sheets then the finish is defective.

A simple ph test will disclose the presence or lack of urine residue.

Urine has a nasty habit of turning oak flooring black.

Is it just the one board?

A simple ph test will disclose the presence or lack of urine residue.

Urine has a nasty habit of turning oak flooring black.

Is it just the one board?
It's just 1 board out of the whole unit, this board is right besides the kitchen island a few feet from the dog crate.
He's been living there for a year, he got a dog some times last summer and the damage was reported around Christmas time, that's why I was guessing dog urine, could have been a spill or some kind of liquid as well.

I just can't see how it could be a defective workman ship when there's only 1 board and the problem only became visible a year after build?

Latest posts

Back