Water leaked on Curing Mortar overnight

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JM123456

Hey,

I put Schluter All-Set under the Ditra Membrane and then tiled on top with the same All-Set (but mixed for tile) and finished about 7 PM. Overnight the toilet leaked from the valve (it has never leaked before, so I am assuming it the shut off valve didn't completely seal). It didn't flood the place, but there is water between the tiles. (They are 1.5x1.5 mosaic - so no warranty from Schluter anyway.)

The tiles all seem pretty solid when I stepped on them (to check the leak) and I am close to 240 lbs. I tried to pry a few and they do not move at all (stupid because if they did break/pop I would have felt like an idiot).

For timing reasons I need to start grouting around 1:00 PM or so. I know (if I am reading it correct) that the All-Set needs 12 hours - not the usual 24 - to dry.

I realize none of this is ideal, but how likely do you think it is that everything will be OK. As I said, tiles seem rock solid, but I am wonder if that leak (call it a gallon or so at a drip) will be a problem.

NOTE: We had tupperware under it when laying the tile, but it picked up speed overnight and filled it. Fingers crossed that I can get that toilet back on before the seal completely bursts...

I would allow an extra day or two before installing the grout. Personally, I believe you would be fine but I'd spend a few minutes to fix that toilet shut off valve beforehand.

One other thing you can do to get rid of the drip if it is coming out of the valves outlet, is carry a 16 or 20-in toilet connection line with you.
Connect the line to the valve and put the other end into the toilet hole. If it's leaking from the valve stem and coming out by the handle of course this doesn't work.

Latest posts

Back